headed to Kona 9/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will be arraiving in Kona 9/26 for a couple of weeks. I will have 5 other divers with me. Various experiance levels.
1 is a new diver with very limited ow time. Only salt experinace was in Key Largo FLA and it wasn't a good experiance from what I have heard. I suspect shore diving will be a better way to get her a little more experinace.
Since 1 person's easy dive is another difficult, I though I'd ask for advice on where to and not toake her shore diving.

I've been diving for 10+ years and have dove in a number of enviornmnets.
Florida
Maui
Cozmel
Tahiti
lots of carib stuff
but since I have 2 inexperinace divers and 2 thaqt haven't dove in a year, thought I'd ask around.
Jack

If you're looking for easy shore dives then I may be able to help :)
I just got certified a few weeks ago so I'm sticking to the easy shore dives for now until I do my advanced OW.
I have done two-step (place of refuge #15), Mile marker 4 (magic sands #10) and King Kam hotel beach (kailua Bay #8). You can find these here:

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/
The #'s in my list above correspond to the #s on the shorediving page.

The easiest entry of all three would be Kailua Bay because it's a protected sandy beach and a piece of cake to get in and out.

Mile marker 4 would be next in the list but be careful if surf is up, I banged the crap out of my knee just as I submerged. Very cool cave there and archway.

Place of refuge is the best of them all, the entry is not the easiest, depending on surf you may have to time it trying to get back out but there's usually a lot of people there to help.

Aloha,
Sam

p.s. I just started logging my dives online with diverecord:
http://www.diverecord.com/?samalolo

diverdowndeep:
I will be arraiving in Kona 9/26 for a couple of weeks. I will have 5 other divers with me. Various experiance levels.
1 is a new diver with very limited ow time. Only salt experinace was in Key Largo FLA and it wasn't a good experiance from what I have heard. I suspect shore diving will be a better way to get her a little more experinace.
Since 1 person's easy dive is another difficult, I though I'd ask for advice on where to and not toake her shore diving.

I've been diving for 10+ years and have dove in a number of enviornmnets.
Florida
Maui
Cozmel
Tahiti
lots of carib stuff
but since I have 2 inexperinace divers and 2 thaqt haven't dove in a year, thought I'd ask around.
Jack

It's somewhat of a call that you have to make. Do you shore dive with your friends and possibly accept some responsibility for guiding a fairly sizeable group of mixed experience levels at a dive site neither you nor your friends have ever been to? ... Or do you jump on a boat and follow the guys who are trained to regularly lead complete strangers, the majority of which have less than 20 dives, on dive sites that they know inside and out because they've been diving them regularly for some time?

Point being, there are easy shore dives AND there are easy boat dives, at least in Kona anyway. Depending on the weather and the swell direction, boat diving can be much easier than shore diving. At which point, you need to decide who might be better at showing your "inexperienced" divers a good time, you or the people who do it for a living.

Here's one little fact that few people realize. On most every boat in Kona, on any given day, most of the people (I'd speculate perhaps 60-70% or so at least) haven't dove within a year, haven't got 15 dives, haven't ever dove in salt water, or any combination of the preceeding, prior to diving on this particular vacation. Yet somehow, practically every diver has a great time. It's easy to mix skill levels once you are used to doing it. The only time it doesn't work more or less seamlessly is when one or two individuals have preset notions that they have to go to "X" feet deep to have a good time, or when one or more divers in the group should never have been certified in the first place. This generally doesn't happen, but it can, and then generally it's only those particular individuals that are disappointed.

For your friend who had a bad experience in Key Largo, it'd be curious to see what happened. Did they hit the water and panic? Did the DM leave them in the middle of the dive? Too many variables without knowing what happened to say that diving off a boat was the problem, could have been the individual, could have been the crew, could've been circumstance. If you are concerned about that individual, you could hire an exta DM/Instructor fot the first day to work with them one on one.

I'm not recommending against shore diving at all, there are some very nice shore dives here, the other poster recommended a few, it's just that shore dives are not necessarily the best first dive for inexperienced or low skilled divers and may hamper the group. They may be more fun for the entire group once everyone's comfortable.

By the way, conditions here lately, 82 degrees, viz 100'+, calm water, plus it's the slow season. You have really come at a good time.

Have fun,

Sam,

I was just checking through here and the web address you posted was very nice. I will also be coming out to Kona and I will actually be staying at the King Kam. My wife and her friends are all beginners so it might be a good chance to get a couple of afternoon shallow dives in with them.

Good luck with your diving and your AOW when you get around to it! It is a lot of fun.

Chris

I went to Hawaii last year and made a shore dive at the Place of Refuge (also has a Hawaiian name that starts with a P and has a lot of vowells after it). That was a great shore dive, but a guide for the first dive is good in order to know how to get into and out of the site. There are lots of urchins and you really don't want to get an urchin spine in your hand or anywhere else.

I also went out with Dive Makai (they have a web site) and they were great. Good dive pre-brief and no hurry to get into and out of the water. You only dive in the morning because of the trade winds kicking up the ocean in the afternoons, so there is normally one trip per day unless there is a night dive scheduled.

I highly recommend them for boat dives.

DennisW:
I went to Hawaii last year and made a shore dive at the Place of Refuge (also has a Hawaiian name that starts with a P and has a lot of vowells after it).

Pu'uhonua o Honaunau :)

diverdowndeep:
I will be arraiving in Kona 9/26 for a couple of weeks. .....
Jack

King Kam, Mile Marker 4, and Place of Refuge are "easy" dives but:
Traffic can be a problem at the King Kam; boats, shorefishers, and tri-athletes doing their swim laps. Around Mile Marker 4, the coast is largely rocky, not fun when humping a stone of air on your back and a belt of lead around your waist; White Sands Beach is very shallow and crowded but at least there's a lifeguard. Place of Refuge is aces but it's overhead deep right off the shelf and you have to clamber back up it to exit; boat traffic and ability to easily go quite deep requires caution.

I usually don't recommend shore diving in Hawaii without first snorkeling the area and realistically comparing the conditions to the limits of the weakest person. Hawaiian shores are typically unprotected from the open ocean -- no fringing reefs, no continental shelf -- and the surf, currents, rocky shores, and strong offshore winds can be surprising. As encumbered with gear as a scuba diver is, topped off with inexperience, unfamiliarity, and fatigue, things can go sour really really fast -- I've yanked a few people out and nearly became a stat myself a couple of times. With such a mixed group, I'd recommend going with a commercial dive op first.

Yes to Mr. Magoo's post

Yes to Friscuba's post - I would say closer to 80% are "newbies"

Good advice to ponder.

Samalolo:
Pu'uhonua o Honaunau :)

See! I was right, it starts with a P and has a bunch of vowels after it. :D

Hey Sam, (or anyone who knows)

Just a quick question. I would like to dive the King Kam with my wife and her friends. I actually got excited by the aerial view of the dive point from the website you listed.

My wife hates boat diving. We are going to stay at the King Kam and after looking at this post, I decided to pack my wifes gear! She is all for it as long as it doesn't involve a boat.

My question is, where can I get some tanks and weights? Can I get them from the building marked "facilities" on the aerial view shot on the shorediving website?

I hope someone knows. Thanks in advance.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom