headed to Kona 9/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Facilities means toilet. May also mean open shower. Just an FYI, flush toilet with running water to wash hands and porta potti in tropical heat are both ‘toilet’. Your closest dive shop is Jack’s, a short walk along Ali’i Drive and up into Coconut Grove.

Ironman ‘season’ begins like now, the number of people around the King Kam and Kona period will just increase and increase. The whole thing begins and ends at the pier in front of the King Kam and that means a lot of people in the area – training and support/family occupying their time here in paradise. I could be wrong but diving around the pier I’d expect to be like what I read about mainland beaches – lots of activity. The closer to Ironman it gets, the less we locals brave it.

I am not getting you folks worried about the diving sites you mention being too challenging for beginners. If they are that challenged by them, they should stick to a pool or something. If you’re all that worried go snorkel it first and see what you think. City of Refuge is IMHO a dream entry and exit. Step off and ride the surge back up at one of 2 places. Just don’t claw your way through anywhere else, it’s very destructive not to mention an ordeal. BTW as a noob 2 Step is where I went first, I knew it was sooooo easy, can’t get lost, no big challenges and stuff to look at no matter where you go. Heck you can just stay at 20’. I see people really struggle getting in and out but if they would stop a moment and watch, there are plenty of locals there. When you see someone make it look effortless, it’s because it is, pay attention to what they do.

And we are getting into the winter high surge potential season, 1st day today, expected to be good this weekend though. I suggest asking at Jack’s for recommendations on where to go because location varies depending on the surge (North or South swell). There are a lot of places to dive. Don’t make the visitor mistake of fixating on going to A location, go where it’s good. Be open to game plan modifications vs schedule is to dive today at XXX in the AM.

Maybe consider doing some boat dives and let the boat hater do something else. I’m no thousands or hundreds of boat trips but I’ve only seen one person ill and he’d done all the things you aren’t supposed to up to having a hangover. I suppose it varies but my boat dive operator is great, I cannot imagine a better situation for inexperience…unless they really belong in a pool with an instructor and in that case it would just be cruel to the crew. If nothing else have the bad or not recent experience person do an intro to scuba dive. I’ve been out with them and had a great time at the same site. Jack’s being so great stay very busy, if you can get on with them I highly recommend it. Check out friscuba, he sounds great too, I’m considering asking him if he’d be willing to take me on for my AOW.

If you’re here on a weekend I’d be willing to help you out a little if you want. I say a little because I’m a noob, can’t be no ‘guide’.
Aloha

Hey redrover .. when are you planning to do your AOW? I think I'm going to do a few more shore and boat dives before I get started on it. I was just checking out friscuba's website for more info.

And Chris .. the section labeled "facilities" in the photo is just the bathrooms and cruise ship passenger info booth.
There is another beach shack right infront of the hotel that does kayak rentals, snuba etc. but I doubt they rent tanks .. I'll ask next time I'm there.
Like redrover said, the closest shop is Jack's down the street.
http://www.jacksdivinglocker.com

Aloha,
Sam

Universal Diver:
Hey Sam, (or anyone who knows)

Just a quick question. I would like to dive the King Kam with my wife and her friends. I actually got excited by the aerial view of the dive point from the website you listed.

My wife hates boat diving. We are going to stay at the King Kam and after looking at this post, I decided to pack my wifes gear! She is all for it as long as it doesn't involve a boat.

My question is, where can I get some tanks and weights? Can I get them from the building marked "facilities" on the aerial view shot on the shorediving website?

I hope someone knows. Thanks in advance.

Chris

As others have said, the facilities building is restroom, info and the local Coast Guard office. Your closest gear rental would be Sandwich Island Divers In Kona Marketplace across from where Honu Sports (retail and charter, but no airfills) has a location in the Kona Villiage Inn shops in downtown. Big Island Divers might be roughly the distance as the mid-point between Sandwich Island and Jack's if you go up Kaiwi (one block to the north up Kuakini form the Hotel). All three would require some transportation on your part and then someone to watch your gear when you drop it off at the pier while you find a parking space.

For the dive off the King Kam beach, stay to the right of the buoy line off the Heiau (Hawaiian Temple) on the King Kam luau grounds as you go out. It was put in recently to keep swimmers out of the boat lane, the DLNR was planning on shutting at least commercial shore diving off the beach before the buoys were put in. It's about a hundred yard swim/snorkel to get to anything interesting, but the dive is nice once you get past the swim buoys.

Steve and Sam and RedRover,

Thanks for the thorough information. I think my wife will probably get excited because she won't have to get in a boat to do some diving! I'll try to snorkel it or dive it first.

You Kona guys (and gals) are alright. I really appreciate the friendly advice. So next, question, where do the divers hang out?

When I lived in Guam, we all hung out at a cigar bar just out of reach of the tourists. FIgure that out, I don't drink nor smoke but always had fun swapping stories.

Chris

Sorry Friscuba, have to say I totally disagree about even mentioning Honu Sports (retail and charter, but no airfills) has a location in the Kona Villiage Inn shops in downtown. I was there recently with family looking for ‘supplies’ and got to the point of ripping up the contract and walking out. I was so ashamed they were a likely spot for visitors, I seriously considered posting my experience here but it was just too embarrassing for Kona.

Just for the record, I am biased. Jack’s is my LDS and so I tend to forget others, especially those in that current traffic hell of downtown Kona. But in all honesty after more experience than when I so to say ‘interviewed’ LDS’s to choose mine, I feel I made a good choice. I do frequent several by the way and darned if I paid more for my last purchase at Big Island Divers. For me at least, by a considerable large margin, I get more knowledgeable help at Jack’s. (Kinda scary when I come in with questions and know a lot more about the subject than the help.)

Hi Sam,
Sure wish I could soon, like since 2 months ago, PM me if ya wanna chat about it. I’m a but too busy freaking out over the PST thing going on right now. I apparently perfectly timed a E tank purchase with the news announcement, I wouldn’t be surprised if I was the last one to get in before DiversDirect.com pulled the plug on them.
Let me know if you want to buddy up with an old geezer though. Have you joined Jack’s club? It’s a pretty good deal for boat diving.

In any case, don’t be afraid to say hi if you see me out there somewhere, I won’t gum you to death.
Lisa

Universal Diver:
Steve and Sam and RedRover,

Thanks for the thorough information. I think my wife will probably get excited because she won't have to get in a boat to do some diving! I'll try to snorkel it or dive it first.

You Kona guys (and gals) are alright. I really appreciate the friendly advice. So next, question, where do the divers hang out?

When I lived in Guam, we all hung out at a cigar bar just out of reach of the tourists. FIgure that out, I don't drink nor smoke but always had fun swapping stories.

Chris
I’m surrounded by divers here, but uh, sorry, I’m a dud on that one, my diving friends have lives.

Aloha Lisa,
I took my Open water cert with Jack's and love the operation they have going there. I am planning to join their Kama'aina dive club .. it sounds like a great deal. They are doing a beach cleanup dive by the pier this saturday .. I may be doing the keauhou bay cleanup since I paddle out of there.
Interesting that you're mentioning buying a tank online, how much is it? I was going to head over to Jack's this week to pickup a tank so I don't have to keep renting one.

Aloha,
Sam

redrover:
Hi Sam,
Sure wish I could soon, like since 2 months ago, PM me if ya wanna chat about it. I’m a but too busy freaking out over the PST thing going on right now. I apparently perfectly timed a E tank purchase with the news announcement, I wouldn’t be surprised if I was the last one to get in before DiversDirect.com pulled the plug on them.
Let me know if you want to buddy up with an old geezer though. Have you joined Jack’s club? It’s a pretty good deal for boat diving.

In any case, don’t be afraid to say hi if you see me out there somewhere, I won’t gum you to death.
Lisa

Hey we’re hijacking. PM coming soon.

redrover:
Sorry Friscuba, have to say I totally disagree about even mentioning Honu Sports (retail and charter, but no airfills) has a location in the Kona Villiage Inn shops in downtown. I was there recently with family looking for ‘supplies’ and got to the point of ripping up the contract and walking out. I was so ashamed they were a likely spot for visitors, I seriously considered posting my experience here but it was just too embarrassing for Kona.

I only mentioned them as a recognizable landmark to find Sandwich Island. Sandwich Island is small , but friendly, and another resource for airfills and basic rentals. The other spot (not to be mentioned) has a colorful history the last several years and I generally don't send people there.

Later,

Ouch Steve, need a Band-Aid?

In defense of Friscuba, if you look back at all of his posts as well as meeting him in person, he is a very postive and up beat person. I have never heard him speak negatively about anyone or any other business here in town. He was trying to be helpful in locating tanks and giving options. Notice he did not mention his own business. He is a helpful and good person.

That being said, Lisa, perhaps we can keep from slaming our own town on this forum. If you had a problem with Honu Sports, Sandwitch Isle Divers, Big Island Divers, etc... The best way to get your point across and to make our own LDS better is to talk to the owners and management of those locations, not slam them here.

Matthew J D'Avella

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom