headed to Kona 9/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LioKai:
Ouch Steve, need a Band-Aid?

In defense of Friscuba, if you look back at all of his posts as well as meeting him in person, he is a very postive and up beat person. I have never heard him speak negatively about anyone or any other business here in town. He was trying to be helpful in locating tanks and giving options. Notice he did not mention his own business. He is a helpful and good person.

That being said, Lisa, perhaps we can keep from slaming our own town on this forum. If you had a problem with Honu Sports, Sandwitch Isle Divers, Big Island Divers, etc... The best way to get your point across and to make our own LDS better is to talk to the owners and management of those locations, not slam them here.

Matthew J D'Avella
Oh dear. If I am interpreted as slamming I sincerely regret I may have implied it having no such intent.

If anyone feels the need for a band-aid, clarification or suggestions on how I remedy where I misspoke please PM me.

Just wondering where Jack was....did you get enough information?

At the moment, I'm sitting in Narita Airport waiting for my flight to Kona. I will be in Kona at 9am on the 20th but here it is about 7pm on the 20th. So, theoretically, I should be in the water right now on the night Manta dive!!

Because of Jack's thread, I have just checked in two dive bags. Mine and my wifes, although she won't be in Kona for another 3 days! She said she wanted to do shore dives. I never knew the King Kam had a dive point. Maybe I'll snorkel it before doing my night dive.

I hope I have the chance to cross paths with some of you characters even though you don't have a "divers hang out." I guess I'll have to just sit in my hotel room every night.

See you.

Chris

A "divers hang out" spot. Try the Kona Brew Pub. Walking (stumbling) distance from the King Kam hotel. It is the favorite for the dive guides from Big Island Divers, and the food is good. Also try the Kava Bar. You will find some of the staff from Jack's Diving Locker there. Food is limited but other options are close at hand. I prefer the Brew Pub. The beer is brewed on site and the atmosphere is pleasant. The Kava Bar also brews locally, using the same dirty sweatsock to filter the Kava since the late 90's. Try both spots and go from there.

Universal Diver:
Just wondering where Jack was....did you get enough information?

At the moment, I'm sitting in Narita Airport waiting for my flight to Kona. I will be in Kona at 9am on the 20th but here it is about 7pm on the 20th. So, theoretically, I should be in the water right now on the night Manta dive!!

Because of Jack's thread, I have just checked in two dive bags. Mine and my wifes, although she won't be in Kona for another 3 days! She said she wanted to do shore dives. I never knew the King Kam had a dive point. Maybe I'll snorkel it before doing my night dive.

I hope I have the chance to cross paths with some of you characters even though you don't have a "divers hang out." I guess I'll have to just sit in my hotel room every night.

See you.

Chris

LioKai:
A "divers hang out" spot. Try the Kona Brew Pub. Walking (stumbling) distance from the King Kam hotel. It is the favorite for the dive guides from Big Island Divers, and the food is good. Also try the Kava Bar. You will find some of the staff from Jack's Diving Locker there. Food is limited but other options are close at hand. I prefer the Brew Pub. The beer is brewed on site and the atmosphere is pleasant. The Kava Bar also brews locally, using the same dirty sweatsock to filter the Kava since the late 90's. Try both spots and go from there.

LioKai,

Thanks for the info. I'm just stumbling around now and wandered into this internet shop. I'll try to stop by these places.

Chris

LioKai,

The Kona Brew Pub was a great suggestion. The staff were fun, the food was good and the beer, my wife and her friends loved.

Sorry I didn't get the chance to dive with BID. Maybe next time.

Chris

I just returned from the Big Island and dived with three different companies. I want everyone to know that all the dive shops/services were excellent. If anyone wants specific information, please PM me.

I would give my "nicest guy" award to Steve from Wanna-Dive.
I would give my "funniest guy" award to Keller from Jacks.
I would give my "coolest mask" award to Eli from Jacks.
I would give my "nicest dive boat" award to Glenn from Kona Honu divers.

I wanted to dive with others but the time with my family kind of got in the way. I mean, I wanted to spend more time with my family.

The mantas were great. Saw 12 on my first night dive, 8 on my next and 4 on my last. Well worth the visit. I'm glad I had my light cannon with me.

Once again, thanks to Steve (Friscuba), Keller, Eli, Glenn, Rich, and the rest. I had a great time diving there.

Chris

That is a real nice boat. I dove with that crew twice, and got to dive on one just like it in Key West. Only difference is diving in Kona was a whole lot better, shame it takes so long to get there.

Chris, if you wife doesn't like boat diving, is it going out on the boat, or just getting on and off that cause the problem. If all she has been out on is small boats, you might try to talk her onto Kona Honu boat. Its big, stable and fast.

From what I saw the best diving there is by boat, we did some shore dives, but quite frankly it can be a pain. If you do go shore diving get there early, parking fills up fast at a bunch of these places.

There is a place called Richardson's on the other side of the island, just south of Hilo. Its got a nice entry in a protected area with a reasonable swim out. If its rough you can poke around in 10 feet of water and see all kinds of stuff too. Catch is its a long, but very pretty, drive from Kona to Hilo. If you go, don't take the saddle road from Hilo to Kona, altitude will get you.

Aloha Chris!
Glad you had fun. We did meet briefly. You were on Steve's boat when he tied to my stern at the Manta dive. Steve introduced us. Perhaps I will get to meet you for longer than 20 seconds next time you are here.
Matthew

Yeah Matthew,

It was funny how he introduced us by calling us by our handle names.

I look forward to my next trip out to the Big Island and diving with you.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom