Headed to Rawlings this weekend, got questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire5man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hoping someone can answer some questions for me. The last time I was down there was some 8 years ago and it was just a one day thing in the middle of winter. My wife and I are headed down for her checkout dives and were planning on camping. Her dives are on sat/sun but were planning on getting down there on Friday night to avoid the rush on sat morning.

My questions are this:
Tent camping-Will medal spikes working the the rocky area or should I bring something different to hold the tent in place.
Cooking- Will it be sutible to assume that we can cook over an open flame in the camp fire pit at the tent site.
Diving- I have friends meeting me later in the day on sat to do an afternoon dive and a night dive. Are there any issues, like the staff not allowing night dives?

I am sure there is some other questions I will most likely have but cant think of right now so if you can think of anything I need to know. Please let me know. Thanks.

I think I can cover all of your questions. I was just there this past weekend.

1. metal tent spikes will work, but I'd probably bring a good mallet to get them in/out--I tripped over a couple that were left by previous campers, so I know they will at least go in...:D

2. Cooking over fire is fine. However, you must do it in one of their established fire rings, and you are prohibited from moving the fire rings or creating new ones, so just choose a camping spot with one close to you. I think they sell firewood there, but don't quote me on that. You may want to bring some or call to check firewood availability.

3. Night dives are absolutely allowed there. You can dive as late as you want, however, the gate is shut at 10PM (I've heard you can make arrangements to get a key if you will be leaving the site after it is locked but haven't pursued that). Also, I believe they stop filling tanks at either 6 or 8PM (I'm not exactly sure of the cutoff --best to either call ahead and verify or ask upon arrival). I usually top off my tanks well before dinner time, so I have tanks available for night dives or am ready to go in the morning. If you can't get a key for the gate, you can always park any vehicles needed to go offsite after hours outside of the front gate. You just have to walk a bit farther to get your gear up to them.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but they have a bath house up and running now. It has several rooms (like 6 or 8 or something like that). Each has a lockable door, sink, urinal, toilet, and shower in it. I'd bring flip flops or crocs to wear as the floors can get a bit nasty at the end of a weekend, but they are a nice addition. Bring quarters for the shower. It is $0.50 to activate it for 60 seconds and 80 seconds of water for each additional quarter.

They also put up several concrete pads with metal canopies over top of them for students or groups to reserve. They are a nice feature for the students to use. I think all of them have a charcoal grill located close by too. You might be able to use one for cooking even if you haven't reserved a canopy.

As for diving conditions, here's what I can tell you from this past weekend. Viz was about 30-35 feet (there were a lot of students in there, so viz is probably better when they are not in or in the more remote areas of the quarry). Temperature was 55-57 degrees down to 48 feet. We stayed shallow for most of our dives and I don't remember a thermocline at least to that depth. I think someone said it was 45-50 at the deepest spots, but I didn't venture down that far.

FYI, the ticks are out in force, so take appropriate precautions.

If you are looking for something to do there, someone posted a nice navigation course on their site. http://www.lakerawlings.com/Downloads/LakeRawlingsNavigationExercise.pdf We tried it a couple times and the azimuths and distances are good. There is also an updated map on the site that is helpful.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help answer. Have fun.

Lots of great information. Thank you. I am guessing that each camp site does not have a fire ring. Don any of them? or are they common area type things?

If I remember right each camp site has an area for campfires. At least the ones I stayed at did. Fire wood has always been plentiful so you shouldnt have to worry about bringing any.

It's a GOOD place to dive, BUT, based on what I encountered last weekend,

The "dive police" still patrol the grounds making certain everything is OK...

On dive boats, I can always bring glass bottles or aluminum or whatever.

On dive boats, I can drink a beer AFTER the dive on the way back in.

On dive boats, I always get to wear a knife and somehow I still RESPECT clams.

On dive boats, I get to park my car where I like when room is available.

On dive boats, I never get asked to leave and if I did, well, it would be a LONG swim.

And, on dive boats, I get treated NICE because the mate knows he or she gets tipped based on how WELL they treat me, not just on the $25 they collect at the door.

This has been argued a LOT, but I'd bet I could DOUBLE Rawlings income with just a few changes.

Truth be told, however, my tolerance still has a LONG way to go for what you get vs. what you put up with...

Of course, the first time I fall and bust my a$$ walking down that long slope to the water covered with rocks, you know, the one that they COULD do something about instead of buying Gators to cruise the grounds with, THAT'S the time I'll REALLY evaluate how nicely I get treated when I visit...

>> SIGH <<

:shakehead:

Lots of great information. Thank you. I am guessing that each camp site does not have a fire ring. Don any of them? or are they common area type things?

There are several different areas to camp/park, labeled with letter designations. When you check in, they give you a vehicle hang tag with your designated parking/camping area. So, for instance, you might be told you are camping in area B. Area B is just a plot of grass with some picnic tables and a few fire rings scattered throughout. It's not like you get a designated place within that section to camp. You just park where you want in that area and set up where you can fit your tent or whatever.

I've been there three times and never felt like a section was overcrowded.

There seemed to be enough fire rings to go around and I don't think you'd have to go far to find one even if it wasn't right next to where your tent was.

Also, if you weren't aware, they are very strict with parking there. If you park in an area other than what your vehicle hang tag says, expect a big sign to be left on your vehicle telling you to move it. I don't know what their next action would be if you ignore the sign left on your car.

If you aren't camping, they put you in section F, the area furthest from the water. We got around it by setting up our gear next to those who were camping from our LDS group and parking the car in section F after dropping the gear.

Also, if you weren't aware, they have 3 or 4 sites with electrical hookups for RVs if you have one.

they also have camp site grills so bring some charcole and lighter fluid as you can BBQ while camping their if you like to do that

It's a GOOD place to dive, BUT, based on what I encountered last weekend,

The "dive police" still patrol the grounds making certain everything is OK...

On dive boats, I can always bring glass bottles or aluminum or whatever.

On dive boats, I can drink a beer AFTER the dive on the way back in.

On dive boats, I always get to wear a knife and somehow I still RESPECT clams.

On dive boats, I get to park my car where I like when room is available.

On dive boats, I never get asked to leave and if I did, well, it would be a LONG swim.

And, on dive boats, I get treated NICE because the mate knows he or she gets tipped based on how WELL they treat me, not just on the $25 they collect at the door.

This has been argued a LOT, but I'd bet I could DOUBLE Rawlings income with just a few changes.

Truth be told, however, my tolerance still has a LONG way to go for what you get vs. what you put up with...

Of course, the first time I fall and bust my a$$ walking down that long slope to the water covered with rocks, you know, the one that they COULD do something about instead of buying Gators to cruise the grounds with, THAT'S the time I'll REALLY evaluate how nicely I get treated when I visit...

>> SIGH <<

:shakehead:

i have all the same complaints espeshaly the long hill to the water and the glass and beer part. did you get kicked out of their last weekend cause it sounds like it.
i have issues with the big guy in the fill house as he is a rathor confuesed man and cannot keep himself together as i was told i got a second fill the next day due to me renting tanks at 6 pm no change of getting another fill that night and then the next moring was told i couldnt and that i wasnt told that the night before

I am looking forward top my trip down there as it is for me just a chance to get wet and spend some time with friends. If all I do is dive once or twice that ok by me. I know it will be crowed, my LDS that my wife will be diving with has a long list of people going down just for OW. I am not looking forward to the weekend after next for AOW that I am taking.

Anyways is there drinkable water down there or should we bring are own. Looking for water to cook with will go bottled for drinking.

Thanks

i think they have running water but i would bring bottled just incase best thing to do would be too call them if i remember they have a bath house with showers now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom