Heading off to basic training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amber

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe it, it seems only yesterday that I was joining the DEP program and now it's time to go to basic.

I leave tomorrow at around 1400 but I'll end up sitting around untill my plane leaves. My recruiter said I wont get to Ft. Jackson untill around 0100.

I'm actually looking forward to it. Most of the apprehension and nervousness that I felt is gone and now I'm excited. But I'm sure it will all come back when I get there :)

I will see you all in 9 weeks I guess. I'll kick butt, no question about that :D :crafty:

PFC Henderson
(I recieved my promotion...hooah!)

Good luck....

Good Luck& Take care!

Jim
one time Army AirBorne,

Been there done that bro, you'll be fine..........best part of the hole thing.

The key to basic is just do what you are told, how you are told, and when you are told.

It is not personal, the instructors are turning civilians into soldiers in a very short period of time.

Good luck and good training.

Best of luck sweetie. We will wait for you to hear about your experience. Take care.

pipedope:
The key to basic is just do what you are told, how you are told, and when you are told.
That and keep your mouth shut. That was where I had trouble.

Don't volunteer for anything.
You are going to be absolutely amazed at the crossection of humanity you will meet. It is absolutely indescribeable.
P.S. squeeeeeeeeeez the trigger, don't jerk it.

The first 2 weeks are the worst and are designed to be that way to get you to basically reorganize your belief system and re-orient how you think and problem solve. (Ie they want you to stop thinking and let someone else solve the problem by just doing what you are told when you are told to do it.)

After the initial 2 weeks the drill sargents will lighten up because the other goal of basic training is to teach you what you need to know to be a soldier and people just can't learn and retain information efficiently under extreme stress. So if you can last the first 2 weeks the rest is a piece of cake. And anyone can get through two weeks if they keep it in perspective and realize it is only 14 days out of the rest of your life.

After that it is actually kind of fun and I really enjoyed it. When the average soldier is done with basic they will have some schizoid traits and can be a little too hard charging, but after about 6 months in the army they settle down to become competent and relaible soldiers.

Don't take it personally and don't forget to have fun with it.

Good luck! You can write a report for us on "Diving into Basic" when you're done. :wink:

Be safe.

Christian

Back
Top Bottom