Heading to DR recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have any followups after diving the Punta Cana area? I'm trying to wrap up my plans to dive while there on vacation. Still haven't quite decided who to book with.

Olathe hmmm wonder if we know each other!

Anyone have any followups after diving the Punta Cana area? I'm trying to wrap up my plans to dive while there on vacation. Still haven't quite decided who to book with.

We just got back. Stayed at Iberostar in Bayahibe. Diving was good (scubafun). We're just not into the all inclusive thing. Just our personal preference.

Thanks for letting me know. We'll be staying at the Riu Palace Macao and I've been considering diving Scuba Caribe purely because they're on site and I dove with them in Cancun last year. For some reason I don't think I ran across scubafun. EDIT: I just saw you were on the Bayahibe side. I'll likely make it down to Bayahibe for one day, but planning on staying predominately on the north side of the island. I'm the only diver in our group and it's something I'm doing to fill in the down time when everyone else would rather sit by the pool.

I completely missed your location until now. That's an uncanny coincidence! I did creep on your profile a bit. I work in IT and am PADI certified (generally dive with others from "The dive shop" in Merriam.)
If we do it isn't likely to be diving or work. :)

Last edited:
I just got back from Punta Cana. I have to say my time with Scuba Caribe was *extremely* hit and miss. Juan Carlos appears to be the site manager and is truly on top of his game. Whenever he wasn't there the place didn't run nearly as smooth.

I had a bad taste in my mouth from the start when they couldn't find my reservation / pre purchased dives. Once they did, they weren't diving for the next two days, but would never tell me why. Dressel Divers (next resort over) was diving every day. When attempting to get an answer on whether or not they would dive the next day they told me to come back after 3:00 PM. After 3:00 they'd tell me a.) they were, and to be back at 8:45 or b.) they weren't.

Many days they told me they wouldn't dive the next day. I ended up diving with Dressel, to find out later that SC did dive. Other days I made plans to dive with SC, to show up suited up with gear in hand, only to be turned away. Dressel had left for the morning so I was stuck by the pool.

When I did get to dive I had a great time, with good staff. Unfortunately it was like pulling teeth to get on the water.
Dressel was well over 1/3 more expensive, but was at least reliable.

TL/DR: if time is on your side, check out SC. If you want a less stressful dive day stick with Dressel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom