heard bad news while diving today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with that concept. Each of us is responsible for our own actions. If we had been on the boat together and you wanted to immediately jump back in, I would advise against it, but I wouldn't "stop you" nor would I try. I wouldn't have the right.

So you wouldn't stop a drunk driver from driving away your house either? It is the exact same analogy. As teenagers we learned that lesson the hard way. I soberly left the party early. Later on, one of our friends almost went to blows to get his keys back, when he was loaded. That was the last time any of us saw him alive. You risk your dive buddies too when one does stupid things...

Time for a famous quote, "Hold my beer, and watch this!"

http://www.darwinawards.com

You can't physically stop someone from doing something stupid to themselves. The drunk driving example doesn't hold because that person could very easily hurt someone else.

I would strongly discourage someone from doing b2b 100' dives but I probably wouldn't actually knock them out with a 2x4 to prevent it either.

R

AS DM I would have PREVENTED the diver from doing back to back dives without a Surface interval of atleast an hour. It falls under liability issues if that would be the case. Details are not quite clear as to WHY.

The dive op may not have been aware of his profile. Walter's right, we are all ultimately responsible for ourselves. Once we become certified, we no longer are required, in theory for some, to have a babysitter. There's no way any op could keep track of the profile and diving practices of every single diver 100% of the time.

scarefaceDM:
Techniclly, You are to SEAL the gear in a bag. Put everything the diver was wear in a bag so the Police can use it to investigate the incident. Air in the tank has to be OFF for saftey issues. That is it. BAG it tag it. After that you are to provide a list of persons on the boat, plus the dive log. IE: time in/out, pressure in/out. If no record was kept. then provide a reading of the pressure in the tank, depth, time and the persons buddy info aswell. Also if the person was on a course, supply all info basically related to the dive.

If the person whom got busted was in law-enforcment..he KNEW what he was doing prior to his arrest. He was TAMPERING. It is suspcious.

AS DM I would have PREVENTED the diver from doing back to back dives without a Surface interval of atleast an hour. It falls under liability issues if that would be the case. Details are not quite clear as to WHY.

You're confusing two seperate incidences. The one from Key Largo is the evidence tampering instructor.

Everyone is still assuming this was a charter! I'm betting large amounts of money it was a private boat.

R

BTW, if I was a DM on a charter boat, no way would the guy be able to do the 2nd dive. I would prevent it at all costs but if I'm out on his boat... what can I really do?

amascuba:
Does this dive sound familiar to anybody else other than me? There have been some posts here on scubaboard in recent months about doing the same kind of profiles.

Could you post a link to any post on here that advocates
- doing a 100 foot dive (on an unknown gas, for an unknown time)
- doing it again (again on an unknown gas, for an unknown time) and this time using up "all of your air" and (presumably -- the original article is a bit vague), ascending faster than anyone would probably recommend due to using up the air.
- and with no mention of any kind of buddy etc.

Crap my bad! Work work work...had it on the brain..OUPS!

If it was a Charter. You can keep track of the dive profiles. You would have to log it. TIme it out and depth, gas etc...That is how to control each diver from doing something stupid. And you can force someone to sit it out. Hense liability issues if soemting goes wrong. With a charter that is.

Private boat...Stupid is as stupid does.

biscuit7:
You're confusing two seperate incidences. The one from Key Largo is the evidence tampering instructor.

Everyone is still assuming this was a charter! I'm betting large amounts of money it was a private boat.

R

BTW, if I was a DM on a charter boat, no way would the guy be able to do the 2nd dive. I would prevent it at all costs but if I'm out on his boat... what can I really do?

biscuit7:
yes, in the Gulf there are very few (if any ??) dive ops with boats, more often either a private boat or a fishing type of charter booked by a group of divers....definately its a dive at your own risk (and your experience) type of thing - in either of these cases divers are 100% responsible for themselves...the captain will simply find spots to drop people and pick them up when they surface (and clean fish back on the docks if you're lucky)

i've been on them before where "divers" have not known what the flashing numbers on their computers meant, or had no concept of what a surface interval woud do for them...and usually do not care to listen to any "suggestions"....luckily there are only a few divers like that out there - an exception rather than the rule.

hope this diver is ok

scarefaceDM:

And would you please describe HOW you would PREVENT him from going back in?

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom