Hearing impaired

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not quite what you asked for, however, how about a very bright light?
RichH
I second this my buddy can bang on what ever he wants to and I can't hear a dang thing but when he shines his light near my head it hits the side of my mask and instantly I know he needs my attention.

While Dive Alerts are exceedingly loud at the surface - they recommend submerging your ears before you set one off - underwater all they do is "quack". One of my group has one and although I don't have any significant hearing loss, I never hear it. Others in our group do though so maybe it's just me.

Have you tried the shakers made from aluminum tube. To me they seem louder and more high-pitched. Trident sells one.
Trident Aluminum Noise Maker discounts on sale Trident

Might try a Storm Whistle also as suggested above because:

The Storm All Weather Safety Whistle is the loudest whistle on the market. Its unique patented design allows it to be heard under water, up to 50 feet, because the sounding chamber forces all water to be purged when the whistle is blown. It's perfect for divers, lifeguards, and for recreation. Creates a clear, high frequency sound, with a power rating over 75% greater than other safety whistles.
At about 0:35 in this video there's an example of being on the receiving end of a Torid Pulse. I think that would get her attention...:wink:

[video=youtube;GBTsn77DbQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBTsn77DbQE[/video]

They're made by H2Odyssey - http://www.h2odyssey.com/toridPulse.htm

Last edited:
Close/effective buddy skills should be able to obviate the need for a sound-making device. This is true even for non hearing impaired divers. Noise makers are for people who aren't good at buddy skills.

Close/effective buddy skills should be able to obviate the need for a sound-making device. This is true even for non hearing impaired divers. Noise makers are for people who aren't good at buddy skills or photographers.

Fixed it for you.

As others have said, being deaf under water is no big deal. Everyone is impaired underwater. Good buddy skills should eliminate the issues. A bright (1000 LM) light which can be had for $100 works for getting attention / emergency signal regardless.

All those tank bangers and other sound making devices are mostly crap needed for groups of vacation divers being lead by a DM. Top side a loud whistle is high frequency (which I can't hear being 65% deaf).

I have hearing loss and don't hear much underwater. Topside, the same hearing loss seems to be of the same frequency of my wife's voice, at least that's what I think.:D

---------- Post added October 12th, 2014 at 09:16 AM ----------

Pretty cool. On my last trip there were 2 people who had those. They had some fun with them. They also said they use a bunch of air. Maybe need a pony bottle for one of those?

At about 0:35 in this video there's an example of being on the receiving end of a Torid Pulse. I think that would get her attention...:wink:

[video=youtube;GBTsn77DbQE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBTsn77DbQE[/video]

They're made by H2Odyssey - H2Odyssey | Your Aquatic Adventure Outfitter

I have hearing loss and don't hear much underwater. Topside, the same hearing loss seems to be of the same frequency of my wife's voice, at least that's what I think.:D

We refer to that as selective deafness. Teen's tend to get it at 2 distinct frequencies, one for each parent.

Back
Top Bottom