Hearing Loss

Please choose one or more of the following:

• I have permanent hearing loss from diving.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I have had temporary hearing loss from diving.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • I have permanent ear damage (not hearing loss) from diving.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have had temporary ear damage (not hearing loss) from diving.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • I have permanent hearing loss but not from diving.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • I have had temporary hearing loss but not from diving.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I was born with a hearing deficit.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never had ear problems from diving.

Votes: 17 32.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very witty, ajtoady!

I've noticed a loss over the years and recently more than previously. I had a hearing test last January and it confirmed quite a bit has gone. The TV is loud and the wife and kid whisper (at least I think they do) around me. I'm getting pretty bad, "Honey, have you seen the car keys?" "Yes, I fed the dog!" But a little hearing loss is okay as long as I can continue to dive.

Don't know what caused my reduced hearing. Been diving for many years. Could be caused by diving. Or could simply be caused by the many years. Could even be from when I did competitive shooting (although we wore hearing protection). Or all or none of the above. How does one determine the cause - barring barotrauma incidents?

Wakeboarding at a fairly high level left me with blown ear drums 4 times with three of them to my left ear, before I started wearing a Gath helmet, long before helmets were cool. I lost about 1/3 of the hearing in my left ear after a HUGE trantrum aka backflip where I spun 1.5 times around landing right on my left ear. Heard it go immediately, and when my head broke the water surface I felt it vent. Biggest bummer at the time was having to stay out of the water. Today it is the loss of hearing and it can sometimes make it hard for me to equalize after multiple ascents/descents.

Due to the previous ear damage I can no longer free dive without facing a sore ear that sounds very muffled for a couple of days.

I first noticed significant hearing loss on my 'exit medical' from the military. I dove during that time, but had exposure to other factors that'd account for losing high-end hearing. I think my hearing loss has continued, diving intensively for the last 6 years as a dive pro... but not had a test to determine the exact amount.. have had many barotraumas when diving though - pushing to hard when working.

Don't know what caused my reduced hearing. Been diving for many years. Could be caused by diving. Or could simply be caused by the many years. Could even be from when I did competitive shooting (although we wore hearing protection). Or all or none of the above. How does one determine the cause - barring barotrauma incidents?

Inners, outers, or both? My hearing issues, though minor, are definitely from shooting. Once upon a time, hearing protection consisted of stuffing a couple of empty casings in your ears.

I voted not diving related, although, I do notice some internal swelling immediately after a dive trip.

I've had mildly muffled hearing from barotrauma, from pushing my ears (most frequently this happens from teaching sessions in the pool). It's never lasted more than a day or two.

I don't have any age-related hearing loss. I just like the TV louder than I used to.

...I don't have any age-related hearing loss. I just like the TV louder than I used to.
Too funny !

Back
Top Bottom