Heavy feet in a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richies

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

While diving in warm water recently I discovered I had 'heavy feet' syndrome.

I was using my 2/3mm wetsuit, steel backplate (2kg - 4 1/2lb ish), an aluminum tank and jetfins.
I needed no extra weight to hold a stop at 3m with 30 bar in the tank and no air in the wing, so my weighting was spot on. The tank was strapped as high as was practical.

I found that I tilted feet downwards until I was vertical; it wasn't sudden, but slow and inexorable. I don't have this problem in a drysuit.

So I concluded that I was feet-heavy.

To solve the problem I have considered changing to my aluminum backplate and fixing 2kg or 4 1/2lb of lead to the top of the tank with a camband, or making a small v-weight to sit in the backplate channel.
I have also considered using lighter fins. I have never read anywhere of any DIR divers using anything other than jetfins, so I can only conclude they either don't have the problem or keep it very quiet.

Has anyone else had this problem, or heard of it? Does anyone know of any tried-and-trusted light fins that are good to use with all the fin kicks? I have some old Avanti Quattros but I really can't stand them!

Any help greatly appreciated!

cheers

:)

r

You could very well be head-heavy. It's very very easy to subconsciously shift your weight backwards to counteract it and end up feet-down.

Try shifting your tank *down* a little bit.

Interesting. Could you please clarify? How would I be shifting my weight subconsciously? The only weight I can move backwards/forwards would be my legs.

This is thru second hand info but I knew a person that had the same problem.

That person change BC from a back inflate to a jacket inflate and the problem went away. My understanding its base on the design of the back inflate that causes this problem.

richies:

have you tried moving the tanks up to force your head down a little?

i would try that before changing anything else.

cascubabear:
That person change BC from a back inflate to a jacket inflate and the problem went away. My understanding its base on the design of the back inflate that causes this problem.

if anything, the jacket design will push the head up and the feet down even more

you're either trolling or have been misinformed :wink:

Thanks for the replies so far. Not sure what the popcorn reference was for though!

My tank was as high as was practical - any higher and I wouldn't have been able to lift my head up. I think that was what jonnythan cottoned onto when he said maybe the tank was *too* high, although I'd love it if he could clarify what he said.

I don't see a jacket BC as a solution. I have no problem in a drysuit with an almost identical configuration.

richies:
Hi

While diving in warm water recently I discovered I had 'heavy feet' syndrome.

I was using my 2/3mm wetsuit, steel backplate (2kg - 4 1/2lb ish), an aluminum tank and jetfins.
I needed no extra weight to hold a stop at 3m with 30 bar in the tank and no air in the wing, so my weighting was spot on. The tank was strapped as high as was practical.

I found that I tilted feet downwards until I was vertical; it wasn't sudden, but slow and inexorable. I don't have this problem in a drysuit.

To solve the problem I have considered changing to my aluminum backplate and fixing 2kg or 4 1/2lb of lead to the top of the tank with a camband, or making a small v-weight to sit in the backplate channel.
I have also considered using lighter fins. I have never read anywhere of any DIR divers using anything other than jetfins, so I can only conclude they either don't have the problem or keep it very quiet.

Has anyone else had this problem, or heard of it? Does anyone know of any tried-and-trusted light fins that are good to use with all the fin kicks? I have some old Avanti Quattros but I really can't stand them!

Any help greatly appreciated!

cheers

r

Well, when I was diving with a 3/2 suit, jetfins, and a backplate I didn't have this problem. I was using an AL BP, with the weighted STA (channel weight). Since the steel backplate you are using spreads the weight out evenly across your back, I would imagine that an AL BP with a channel weight would cause you the same problem, since you would still be distributing that weight evenly up and down your back. You might want to try the AL plate with some weight on the cam bands so that you can play with it at first. That way it will be easy to make small adjustments over several dives to get it dialed in. I wouldn't jack up your tank too high, might want to move that back down some and try moving some of the weight up.
Also, when you have this problem, are your legs straight out behind you? try pulling your heels to your butt and see if you have the same problem. If not, you just need to move your center of gravity by adusting your weights.
Good luck.

you can check where your trim is taking you just by "going limp" in the water.

wait a few seconds, and the trend will be clear; Jonnythan may be onto something

maybe you could buy "floatier" booties to compensate? say 5 or 7 mm?

richies:
Not sure what the popcorn reference was for though!

cascubabear:
This is thru second hand info but I knew a person that had the same problem.

I'm sure that's why... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom