HECO polluting Electric Beach - Need YOUR help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot:
??? are the brushes the "pollutants" you are concerned over or the

What I am concerned with is that HECO uses over 4000 of these brushes every few weeks at each facility, [as per HECO statement], and until our investigations HECO had no documented Standard Operating Procedures for using and catchment, HECO states they are currently developing SOP to catch all the brushes.

Unsure if what is on the brushes if of concern, PUC and DOH are testing, will post results.

The reason I became alarmed is that I have been seeing the brushes for a long time, and just swam by, occasionally picking up a few here and there, but last month during a dive I saw a juvenile green sea turtle attempting to eat a brush!

That was a signal for me to do something about this issue, and I submitted the complaint with the DOH and PUC on Earth Day, wish I had my camera to take a picture of the turtle and the brush...

OahuDiver:
I saw a juvenile green sea turtle attempting to eat a brush!

now that's bad :(

We went past the plant at Aloha Tower on Wednesday and they had a diver down. Too bad we can't dive over there. The water is a strange color of blue over there.

Back
Top Bottom