Hello from Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello everyone!

Mexican living in Australia for long term.

Once I lived in Cozumel, Mexico. At the Mexican Caribbean and I miss the opportunity to learn scuba diving there, I regret it every day.

Now I'm living in Brisbane, Australia and I'm not going to miss the opportunity again.

I motivate myself buying my basic gear, little by little until all this pandemic ends and I can take my first step in this exciting world: Open Water Scuba Diver Course.

I already bought the mask, I choose a Beuchat Shark, nevertheless im in an entry level, l want to invest in middle, middle-high end gear.

My next buy will be the scuba diving snorkel. I'm planning to expend on it up to $50 AUD.

Do you have any recommendations???

Thank you.

Welcome to Australia and enjoy your diving journey.

As for a snorkel, few scuba divers use them regularly, even if they carry one diving. Mine lives in a bag of gear I don't use. I suggest getting the cheapest, most basic snorkel you can find. On the odd occasion I'm snorkelling I prefer to use a basic tube style snorkel. You may or may not choose to ditch it completely after it after your course, but even if not a bulky snorkel tends to get in the way. If you really do want a snorkel with fancy features, you're better off getting saving your money until after you've done your course and worked out what features you like.

Hello everyone!

Mexican living in Australia for long term.

Once I lived in Cozumel, Mexico. At the Mexican Caribbean and I miss the opportunity to learn scuba diving there, I regret it every day.

Now I'm living in Brisbane, Australia and I'm not going to miss the opportunity again.

I motivate myself buying my basic gear, little by little until all this pandemic ends and I can take my first step in this exciting world: Open Water Scuba Diver Course.

I already bought the mask, I choose a Beuchat Shark, nevertheless im in an entry level, l want to invest in middle, middle-high end gear.

My next buy will be the scuba diving snorkel. I'm planning to expend on it up to $50 AUD.

Do you have any recommendations???

Thank you.

Welcome to Scubaboard! We're pleased to have you join us.

I can't give you better advice about the snorkel than you received above.

But I do look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future.

Read through the New Divers and The Basic Scuba Discussions subforums. You'll probably learn a bunch or at the very least, have many of your questions answered.

Welcome Santiago, good to have you.

Snorkels are required for dive operations in Queensland. It does not have to be fitted to your mask, provided you have one in your pocket. Some do not ask, but they are required to ensure you have one, as per the code of practice for recreational diving (edited for clarity). Mine rarely leaves my gear bag, but the tourist boats can be quite firm on this.

My suggestion is a soft silicone foldable snorkel. Don't worry about any of the fancy purge valves etc, simple and light is best.

Welcome to Australia and enjoy your diving journey.

As for a snorkel, few scuba divers use them regularly, even if they carry one diving. Mine lives in a bag of gear I don't use. I suggest getting the cheapest, most basic snorkel you can find. On the odd occasion I'm snorkelling I prefer to use a basic tube style snorkel. You may or may not choose to ditch it completely after it after your course, but even if not a bulky snorkel tends to get in the way. If you really do want a snorkel with fancy features, you're better off getting saving your money until after you've done your course and worked out what features you like.

Hello Elmo, thank you for your advise. I thought that the snorkel was a very important part of the gear, now I see it is not. Ill follow you good advice and buy a cheaper one for "just in case".

Regards,

Welcome to Scubaboard! We're pleased to have you join us.

I can't give you better advice about the snorkel than you received above.

But I do look forward to seeing more posts from you in the future.

Read through the New Divers and The Basic Scuba Discussions subforums. You'll probably learn a bunch or at the very least, have many of your questions answered.

Thank you, I hope to see you often around the forum. I sure Ill spend a lot of time learning and reading around!

Welcome Santiago, good to have you.

Snorkels are required for dive operations in Queensland. It does not have to be fitted to your mask, provided you have one in your pocket. Some do not ask, but they are required to ensure you have one, as per the code of practice for recreational diving (edited for clarity). Mine rarely leaves my gear bag, but the tourist boats can be quite firm on this.

My suggestion is a soft silicone foldable snorkel. Don't worry about any of the fancy purge valves etc, simple and light is best.

Hello, thank you for the advice, Ill keep it in mind.

Regards!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom