Hello from Beautiful Hawaii!! Quick question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to mention many resorts/sites etc. cannot seem to differentiate between experience/qualification versus certification. You may have a hundred logged dives but not an "advanced card" and the you hear "no you can't dive wreck because you are not "advanced".

You must not work in the industry. It isn't that we as instructors and dive centers can't differentiate, it is that the insurance and liability issues are real. I don't care if you 1000 dives and have been to 60 meters on air and did a 40m CESA...if you are only OW certified and the dive is deeper than your current cert level, you can't on the dive.

Imagine what happens when you are allowed and a catastrophic failure happens that causes your death. Will they blame you for diving beyond your certification or will they blame the dive center and instructor/DM for allowing you to do so? It won't be you, that is for sure.

The best advice I can give you is to take your time and do not rush into buying equipment. We have so much used equipment on the market because new divers rushed into buying too soon and later sold it at a discount. BCDs will have different recommendations on this board, all are valid for the writer, but not be valid for you. I highly suggest renting until you know what works for you. I personally like the ScubaPro regulators but that is my preference. The key with regulators is you want the ability to get parts and service whereever you intend to dive. Some manufacturers are not supported around the world. So, be sure whatever you buy can be serviced whereever you intend to dive. You can't go wrong with the major manufacturers, but again, renting will help you determine what you like or don't like. Again, the best advice is go at it slowly, test as much as you can before spending on something you end up replacing in a year or two. Buy once, cry once. This equipment will last a very long time if well cared for, so make sure you are sure before purchasing.

duplicate

Back
Top Bottom