Hello from Newb in South Carolina!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the welcomes as they keep coming in!

I emailed a LDS today to inquire about their schedule and if I would still have time to get my OW Cert completed this fall, or if I should plan for the spring. I'm eager to get started, or at least have a date to look forward to!

H2oSki2Live:
--snip--
I live in South Carolina, up in the northwestern part of the state, affectionately referred to as Upstate. Not far from the mountains, as well as a dive site known by many on here as Jocassee lake.

Welcome! Too bad you don't live in Columbia, or I'd have you hunt down my brother and ask him when he's going to take a refresher! :D

H2oSki2Live:
--snip--
Call me crazy, but I would like to think that it's much better to practice the skills multiple times instead of just a couple times of emptying the mask, "losing" and then finding the regulator, using the octupus, etc.

That said, I know that I now want to get OW certified and have found very quickly from friends here in the Upstate a great dive shop to complete this at. Now all I need to do is make the time to do so!

Cool! Be warned, it's addictive. :14: If at all possible, try to get into a smaller class (6 or less people); you'll have more one-on-one instructor time that way, and you'll have more time to play around with the skills. Once you get the c-card, you'll never look back. Hey! Maybe by then I can drag my brother up there and we'll all hit Jocasee (or however it's spelled).

Anyway, welcome!

Cheers,

glad to see you getting certified when my buddy first asked me to go diving with him
(because his wife lost interest in diving) i was like man i dont wana do any scuba diving after a few weeks of him talking about it i went and get certified and glad i did
just in the past year have i really started to get into it more buying ALL my own gear and so forth (buying OMS b/p wing this week :) ) so hopefully you will enjoy it as the rest of us do by the way im here in norway south carolina

Cool, well welcome to the board and if you have any questions please let us know you will be surprise how fast the answers will get to you.

Well I spoke with the LDS and now it's just a matter of me finding the time. Wife is behind me doing it as well, although she's not interested, least not now anyway! Hopefully by no later than November I'll have been through the class and gotten my card. Just having the challenge before me is motivating.

Appreciate the advice about small class size and such. I know that I plan to just take my time, move at my pace, so that I can be comfortable with everything.

H2oSki2Live:
Well hello to all of you out there, experienced or newbies (like me) that have call this forum home! I figured if I am going to be spending time on here, I should introduce myself.

I live in South Carolina, up in the northwestern part of the state, affectionately referred to as Upstate. Not far from the mountains, as well as a dive site known by many on here as Jocassee lake.

I recently got a "taste" of diving when I was in Cozumel and took a "discover scuba" course. After I completed the basic skills I knew that I wanted to do more, but also was not comfortable doing a 35-40ft dive that was suggested. Call me crazy, but I would like to think that it's much better to practice the skills multiple times instead of just a couple times of emptying the mask, "losing" and then finding the regulator, using the octupus, etc.

That said, I know that I now want to get OW certified and have found very quickly from friends here in the Upstate a great dive shop to complete this at. Now all I need to do is make the time to do so!

So anyway, that's a short bit of my story. Excited to begin, have some of the basic fears but know also they can be conquered, looking forward to joining all those that have achieved the milestone of OW certification.

Thanks for all the knowledge shared here!
Welcome to the group from your Lowcountry counterpart in Charleston, SC. Get the proper training and don't stop unless it's for safety.

Back
Top Bottom