Hello from Northern New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi steve mix my daughter will be moving to syracuse in the new year so ill be coming to visit. what i would like to know is ? is there any diving near there & how accessible is it

Steve Mix, your story sounds oddly like my own, I live in Rochester, NY, was YMCA certified in '88, did some great diving for a couple of years, got married to a non-diver,etc, etc. My son is now 12 and showing some interest, so I talked he and mom into a trip next spring to the Keys, and I'm having a lot fun planning and preparing. I had sold all my old equipment, and at first figured I'd rent stuff on this trip because I'm not ready yet for any big investments. But I had tried renting before and, wanting at least a BC that I could fit and try out ahead of time, I started researching models made in the last few years, and scanning for one on ebay. By researching, I mean that I read Scuba Diving Magizine and study the charts. Now, I'm not claiming that that magizine is the leadiing authority, you will get a lot of better info in these forums, but they do have concise comparitive charts that list MSRP, features, sizes etc., and the do some objective testing. They also explain the options and new technologies available. One of the highly rated models is the Sherwood Tortuga, and there was a thumbs up story in Sport Diver magizine as well, so I starting looking for one and sure enough got a new one at a price I could afford. Now I'm really psyched and as soon as I get some new fins I'll be ready to get to the LDS to try it out. Has anyone out there had any experiences with the Tortuga?

Good luck getting back into the sport Steve. I've been to the florida keys and it's a great place to start out, lots of easy diving, no passports, same time zone for us easterners....

Welcome to the Board!!! :D

Be sure to check out the Lake Effect Divers Forum, we're closer to you than the Wreck Valley bunch. Some of us get up to the Islands too.

Some of use an LDS that's not really local. The savings are well worth the drive and the gas $$.

Where in Rochester are you??
I'm in Bergen on the west side.

I'm in Greece, west side near Hilton. Where is the LDS you use?

aquanaut10:
I'm in Greece, west side near Hilton. Where is the LDS you use?

When I have enough interest, I teach at Hilton. The new pool is the nicest I've ever seen!!
I also have a freind in Hilton who just bought a BIG boat. We plan on diving off of it next year.

We use Discover Diving in Depew NY. It'd be about an hour drive for you. If you'd like to check it out, I'd be glad to drive out with you, or meet you there.

My son goes to middle school in Hilton, where the pool is that you mention. It is a impressive facility. Do you teach diving there?

Thanks for the link...

aquanaut10:
My son goes to middle school in Hilton, where the pool is that you mention. It is a impressive facility. Do you teach diving there?

Thanks for the link...

I taught a NAUI Scuba Diver Class there last Spring. We offered it again last fall, but there wasn't enough interest. I'll offer it again this coming spring. It will be listed in the Continuing Ed. Brochure. How old is your son? Is he certified yet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom