Hello from the Carolina's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgri

Reaction score
I've been lurking for awhile and decide to go ahead and come out. Great board, lots of sharp people. Reading this forum has motivated me to redo my OW after seven years.

I had my first class and pool session over the weekend and so far I think I should have just done a refresher. Since I'm there, I'm trying to apply some of the things I've picked up reading this forum during the pool session, like, doing all drills neutrally buoyant, Working on modified fining techniques, and doing the drills over and over again. Sadly the instructor only makes everyone do the drills once. I don't think clearing your mask one time on your knees in shallow water is enough to instill muscle memory. Oh well, I'll try not to pick up to many bad habits. At least I'm getting nitrox at the same time.

Anyway, hello to all!

Mark

Glad you came out of the closet as it were :)

And well met from a fellow newbie...

:)

Welcome to the board & back to scuba.
There are a lot of members here who took long surface intervals.
Mine was over 20 years, but never again.
Dive safe.

Hi Mgri and welcome to scubaboard...where in SC are you located? I'm in the Greenville area and dive Jocassee and Keowee on a regular basis.

Hey Bobb, I'm out of Columbia. How is Jocassee? I'll be heading up there for the OW dives. Lake Murray is so low and over run with Hydrila <sp?> its apparently not worth diving. Not to mention the lack of vis.

For that matter how is Keowee?

I haven't been to Jocasse in awhile (probably going this weekend) I went to Keowee last weekend ...temps approx. 73 deg. @ 40 ffw and viz about 18- 20 feet.. I think we'll be doing a walk in at Jocasse this weekend, but I might take the boat and dive the junk...I've never dove Murray...how is it? anything to see?
Bobb

Mark, who are you doing your ow with? a dive shop in Columbia or Greenville?
Bobb
ps, if you've never dove Jocassee...I think it's great (at least for the local lakes) there's about 5-6 boats, a motorcycle, a basketball court(complete with bowling ball for a ball) and a few other things..
when are you coming up to do your check out dives?

Doing my dives through Wateree dive center in Columbia. We are doing the dives in Jocasee on the 12th and the 13th. What's the temps this time of year?

I never dove Murray before, I dove in Panama when I dove for the last time seven years ago, and never got the chance to do any local SC dives. I tried snorkeling in Murray the other week to get my fins wet as it where but vis was terrible, maybe 2'. From what I hear only the Dam and some bridge have good enough visibility to dive. Unfortunately they have drained the lake by 15' to re-enforce the dam. With water levels so low vis is worse due to runoff and the Hydrlia problem is also magnified.

I'll try diving it after I get through OW again and give a report on it.

It kind of looks like I might be doing my fw dives up your way if Murray is as bad as I think it's going to be :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom