Hello from Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparragus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey there fellow divers!

Just wanted to drop in and say a quick hello. I'm a Puerto Rican living right here in Puerto Rico. Took my first dive in Guanica earlier this year as a birthday treat, and let me tell you, it turned into an unexpected hobby and passion. I hadn’t felt this in a long long time!

Diving is pretty much all I can think about these days. Got 12 dives under my belt. I'm got certified for open water and Nitrox. Currently reading into the advanced e-learning materials and excited for that next certification, too.

I've been lurking around here for a while, keeping up all the new posts and diving wisdom. That said, this is my first post!
I've been devouring info about diving gear too. Eyeing the DGX backplate wing kit (not sure if aluminum or stainless steel) and the Apeks XTX50 regulators for my next investments.

On a more serious note, the state of coral reefs has really caught my attention. It's disheartening to see the bleaching and diseases taking their toll. I'm keen on learning about coral restoration and would jump at the chance to volunteer for such a cause.

Thrilled to be part of this community. Looking forward to connecting and sharing stories with all of you! 🌊🤿

Welcome to Scubaboard. I was in P.R. once-- in 1966....Do let me know if you know of some good shore diving there as we may plan a month there at some point. Look forward to your posts here.

Welcome to Scubaboard. I was in P.R. once-- in 1966....Do let me know if you know of some good shore diving there as we may plan a month there at some point. Look forward to your posts here.
Thanks for the welcome.

For shore diving, try Crash Boat beach in Aguadilla. Excellent shore diving!

Welcome to SB! Attended a wedding in the San Juan National Historic site a few years back. The castle was beautiful at sunset! Got in no diving in PR that time, so have always wanted to go back. Dive safe!

Eyeing the DGX backplate wing kit (not sure if aluminum or stainless steel)
Welcome. When I was looking at backplates, one think I noticed was the stainless steel seemed to all have that, well, stainless steel bare metal look, and the aluminum ones varied from that to much darker (anodized). I don't like the bare metal look, the weight difference isn't that much, and I have to wear additional led beyond that difference regardless, plus getting checked luggage under the weight limit to avoid overage fees is something to keep in mind.

To each their own, and stainless might be a better option for your desires and needs. Just pointing out a difference. Oh, and it was recommended I night try such coloring efforts as powder coating a stainless steel plate, as the surface needs to be exposed to form the rust-resistant layer. If water seeped under a coating, it might rust under it, IIRC. Not sure how big of a risk that it, but I was cautioned against it by people who knew the subject much better than I do.

Richard.

I miss the island, lived in Ponce, worked in Jayuya, dove mostly out of La Parguera. Back in Florida for three years but still go back for some fun dives, you are lucky to have all of the different sites so close.

Thanks for the welcome.

For shore diving, try Crash Boat beach in Aguadilla. Excellent shore diving!
Thanks! Will look it up.

I miss the island, lived in Ponce, worked in Jayuya, dove mostly out of La Parguera. Back in Florida for three years but still go back for some fun dives, you are lucky to have all of the different sites so close.
I’m very happy I discovered diving. Puerto Rico is a divers paradise.

Hit me up when you’re around and we can buddy up and dive La Parguera

Note that there are regional forums here too - I think Puerto Rico would be in the Caribbean regional forum (as I dont see it in the U.S. regional forum). Your contributions would be welcome for folks wanting to know about your local diving.

About 15 years ago I did two dive from Fajardo. Good dives, saw the only legged fish I've ever seen - think it was a frogfish.

Note that there are regional forums here too - I think Puerto Rico would be in the Caribbean regional forum (as I dont see it in the U.S. regional forum). Your contributions would be welcome for folks wanting to know about your local diving.

About 15 years ago I did two dive from Fajardo. Good dives, saw the only legged fish I've ever seen - think it was a frogfish.
Found it! Thanks for the heads up

Back
Top Bottom