Hello, new here, got a question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Omega_Air

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Shane. I am about to start taking scuba classes for my certification. I just have some basic questions about equipment.
As a new diver should I go with strap on fins or full foot?
I wear a size 8 1/2 shoe should I get a size 9 boot?

Any suggestions would be helpful...

Strap on fins are the way to go.

I like strap ons because I do a lot of shore diving, and the booties are nice walking across the sand, rocks, glass, etc.

As for the boot size, the dive shop should let you try them on. I wear a size 13 shoe, but 12 bootie.

They will answer all these questions the first day of class.. or at the shop if you need to get your mask/fins/boots before the class starts.

Strap ons, and try on the boots to see which fit. :)

Strap fins and, more likely than not, a *smaller* boot than your street shoe size, but the only way to know for sure is to try them on.

Don't try on a pair of boots and say they fit just right, even if you think they do. Try on the same boot in the next smaller size, or the next bigger size if they really feel tight. Try on at least a couple of different models. When you take your weight off the boots (in the water), they get a little water inside them, and are being worked around inside the foot pocket of a fin, they will feel at least a little bit looser than they do standing on them in the store.

You don't want them so tight they restrict circulation (makes for cold feet and restricting circulation is not good), but you don't want them to be wobbly, either - the idea is to transfer energy from your legs to the fin, and anything that slips in between (foot to boot, boot to fin) reduces your efficiency and control. You don't want to go the way of the rock climbers of yore, who got shoes so tight they hurt all the time, to provide better "control." You don't need anything like that. But if the boot feels loose in the store, it will certainly be *too* loose in the water.

Take the time to try on as many types and sizes as you need to until you have a good fit.

Omega_Air:
Hi, my name is Shane. I am about to start taking scuba classes for my certification. I just have some basic questions about equipment.
As a new diver should I go with strap on fins or full foot?
I wear a size 8 1/2 shoe should I get a size 9 boot?

Any suggestions would be helpful...

As a new diver you should test dive as many types of fins as possible BEFORE you buy otherwise you'll slowly build a collection of unused gear. Oh heck ... I have a few extra pairs of fins in my cellar; would you like to buy them?

Thanks for all the replies. I understand the trying them on thing, but the dive shop that I am going to school only sells one type of boot, just in different sizes. And honestly I really don't like the style of them. I plan on doing just warm water diving. Mostly in the area of Florida, until I have done this for about a year or more, then might venture out into colder water. So really just looking for other advice or a "second opinion" on some gear.
As in I plan on ust using skin guards or maybe just getting a shortie 2mm wetsuit (if not both). A panaramic view mask(why do this if I have to keep turning my head every 10secs to see everything ), and then probably just a basic snorkle.

diving in florida isn't always "warm" water. you may want to rethink the 2mm shortie..

depending on your tolerance of the cold a 3 or 5 full suit may be a better choice.

a 2mm shortie just is'nt going to give you much thermal protection and really provides no abrasion protection for your arms and legs.

Regardless of where you're diving, go with strap-on fins unless you're planning on boat diving exclusively. They are more versatile. Maneuvering through surf, shore dives, moving around after a dive, many dive situations work better without fins on but with some sole beneath your bare feet.

P.S. If you fill out your profile it allows people to answer your questions more meaningfully - they know the rough geographical area in which you live, what type of water you're diving in, etc. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom