Closed Helmet

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

passedoutwookie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I started using a helmet while down in Mexico this summer and grew to like it. I’ve been waiting on one to pop up on here since but haven’t seen on. Light Monkey only seem to have the pink and white available, but I’d prefer another color. Let me know if you’ve got one sitting in the back of a closet!

Hello all. I started using a helmet while down in Mexico this summer and grew to like it. I’ve been waiting on one to pop up on here since but haven’t seen on. Light Monkey only seem to have the pink and white available, but I’d prefer another color. Let me know if you’ve got one sitting in the back of a closet!
If one doesn’t surface here, and you end up buying one, keep in mind that you don’t have to buy a “cave diving helmet”. Some climbing helmets can be quickly converted to be “dive friendly” by removing the foam, drilling some holes for bubble drainage, and making light mounts. The Black Diamond “Half Dome” works great for this, and they come in different colors.

If one doesn’t surface here, and you end up buying one, keep in mind that you don’t have to buy a “cave diving helmet”. Some climbing helmets can be quickly converted to be “dive friendly” by removing the foam, drilling some holes for bubble drainage, and making light mounts. The Black Diamond “Half Dome” works great for this, and they come in different colors.
Thanks! I’ve been thinking about going that route also. I’ll check out the half dome.

The following video should be of interest :

Get a kid's bike or skateboarding helmet and save yourself 50 dollars...

Honestly if you going to get a helmet, get one that actually protects your head. Light monkey helmets offer basically no protection nor have any type of safety rating. Really they are just a fashion statement.

I am a long time rock climber, and also do a lot of dry caving as well as caving diving and As @Rapid Metric mentioned climbing helmets are a much better option. They are actually built, tested, and certified for protecting your head.

I have both a Petzl Ecrin Roc and Petzl Vertex Vent and these are my favorite for cave diving. Both of them do not have any foam inside or any metal that I am aware of so they do not float and do not rust. These offer full impact protection and have many international safety certifications. They are also a lot more comfortable then a LM helmet.

If your looking for used check mountainproject forum or ebay.

Homemade, my own fashion statement. I use 3D mesh inside very comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_5265.jpeg
    IMG_5265.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5266.jpeg
    IMG_5266.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5267.jpeg
    IMG_5267.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 14
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back