HELP, Bad LDS experience!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not against the law, nor is it actionable to say you are dissatisfied with a business and to name that business.

in Nevada do you have arbitration? In Texas you can file an suite at the courthouse to have a arbitrator hear the case and deceide it instead of taking him to court and sueing. The trick is both parties must agree to the arbitration .... if not fill out the forms for "Judge Judy" and "Judge Joe Brown" you can get on line. Send the LDS a copy of your suite and ask him if he wants to settle now or wait and see himself on TV ? Also do you have a consumer reporter at one of your local TV stations or writting for one of the newspapers. A lot of times if the company hears that they they are doing a story on your problem they may wish to settle.

Do not wait 90 days. The law is 60. Your credit card company has no reason to comply after 60 days.

Taken from a Consumer Reports article:
For other problems, you’ll need to write a dispute letter to your credit-card issuer. (For sample letters you can customize, print, and send, see Sample dispute letters.) The letter preserves your right to dispute errors; a phone call may not. The credit-card issuer must receive your letter within 60 days from the statement date. Don’t send it with your bill, but rather to the address for disputes on the monthly statement. Include copies (not originals) of all documents supporting your claim. The card issuer should acknowledge your letter within 30 days of receipt.

The article is very informative, and even gives sample letters to your credit card company.

Remember to send the letter via certified mail and request return receipt.

Let's see. Northern Nevada and PADI. Unless you're driving to another state (ID, OR, etc), a quick search on PADI's website reveals only one PADI LDS in Northern Nevada.

I am a soon to be certified OW diver who is major excited about my new sport. I have been reading SB for a little while and love the info I get from it. I have had a totally different experience about my LDS. I live in Northern Alabama and have DiveSports as my LDS. They are very knowledgeable, nice guys, and will cut you a very fair deal on equipment. I have also gotten my certification thru them (Santa Claus) and their instructor was very most professional and a nice guy to boot. We had our instructor, a divemaster, and a trainee divemaster to teach out class of 8. And then I hear about these horror stories about other LDS that have no idea in the WORLD what customer service is about.....And the return policy at my LDS is 30 days....no questions asked....that is one reason I have spent over $1400 getting my equipment. I have made my major purchases there with some little things over the net....I guess I am lucky!!....Good luck with you LDS....and make sure that whenever you mail requests, do it with registered mail with a receipt, that will provide a trail of evidence for you in case it goes to the legal system......YOU CAN'T PROVE THAT YOU "JUST DROPPED BY THE SHOP TO COMPLAIN"....do it in writing through the mail.......it provides a ton of evidence that you can use!!....just my humble 2 cents

Lessons learned:
1. Look at the refund policy BEFORE you buy...
2. Look at the shop's BBB report....
3. Check for a PADI or NAUI certified shop (go to their website, not the shop's site)
4. If you have a bad experience (overcharge) from the start, DO NOT let your love of a BCD override what should have clearly been a HUGE red flag! :banghead:

I am already beating myself up on this but have at it, is there any more advise we can post for other relative newbies to purchasing equipment....

Stop putting the pressure on ScubaDoobaDo to say the name of the shop. In scubaboard, we are not suppose to say the name of the shop or etc... We have the loyal and to respect to any places. Think about this: if your shop didn't do well but trying to improve but someone on Scubaboard is telling everyone that your shop is terrible - what happens to your shop? It may have to go out of business or you may be lucky to get people come in your shop.

If you want to reveal a name, then send a PM to a specific person - not in general public to read.

wildmtn:
In scubaboard, we are not suppose to say the name of the shop or etc... .

Do you, by any chance, have a reference for that claim?

ScubaDoobaDo:
Lessons learned:
1. Look at the refund policy BEFORE you buy...

yes you need to check first. Lots of diveshops have a no-refund policy. In most cases it's probably just because they're a small businesses living hand to mouth and the manufacturers as a rule won't take anything back unless it's defective.
2. Look at the shop's BBB report....

I've never found the BBB of much use and I sure don't go to them to do some kind of background check on everyplace I shop.
3. Check for a PADI or NAUI certified shop (go to their website, not the shop's site)

Shops aren't certified...at least not by PADI. They may be a retail PADI member which means they pay the $300 dues every year. It's not a measure of quality or customer satisfaction although there are some requirements as to what services must be offered, store location and phisical attributes of the store.

I don't get the problem with the credit card overcharge. Didn't you get a reciept when they ran the card that you had to sign? They could have credited it back to you on the spot.

my bad...
Ok, maybe those are just my rules from now on...
No, we rec'd no credit card receipt. The only paperwork at all we have received is the original order form with the wrong amount (Charged us retail instead of the agreed upon price), there is a handwritten note that says OVERCHARGE 774.00... We ordered the equipment by phone as we live 90 miles away from the shop, we had been in the store the weekend before and had an idea of what we wanted. He assured us that he would work with us to get the right sizes, the right equipment, etc. and he was really nice and helpful and actually available to help us, until after we upraded on most equipment (about a week later) to eat up some of the overcharges, got the $150 rebate put in the mix (that he forgot to tell us about) then the customer service went to pot... There was no mention of his return policy on the phone or when we were in the shop prior to our order.
I just want my money back so I can go and re-purchase the stuff, get it in my hot little hands and get back to good scuba dreams instead of bad lds nightmares!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom