Help breathing off the bottom of my lungs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raoulsttexas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
ok, confession time. as i keep gaining more experience, the more myopic details show up for me to work on. well, i have an issue that i can't get past and it's a fairly big one.

i canNOT breathe off the bottom of my lungs. it is 100% psychological. i can't tame my brain's need to make sure i'm going to get that next breath. so, i exhale as much as i can (typically down to 1/4-1/3 lung capacity) and then immediately follow that with a GIANT inhalation. it's a brief moment of panic (not freak out panic...moreso anxiety) until i get my lungs inhaling again. of course that's killing my overall air consumption and given me occasional headaches due to being so "full" all the time. and i'm completely missing out on the additional buoyancy control.

i've tried to exhale down to 1/4 capacity and merely sip my inhalation. that works if i'm task-free and completely focused on it. but the moment i actually swim or do anything, i'm back to the giant gulps.

i've sat on my couch with mask and reg on, and it's fine. i can easily do a 10-count breathing cycle. or just use the top half or bottom of my lungs no problem. the moment i hit the water, it's entirely different. sure, water is, in essence, task loading, but it's THE basic task to be loaded if you're a scuba diver.

obviously, more dives will help this, but i'm looking for something a bit more tangible. maybe i should just go to a pool and blow through a tank while doing nothing but working on this.

any other suggestions? i'm ok with using 1/2 to top lungs for buoyancy controls, but i'm really missing out on the bottom to 1/2 full lungs.

Try doing fin pivots. I use fin pivots with students to develop good breathing rhythms and breath control.

Fin pivots can also used like a meditative tool.

Getting to the pool and practicing in a zero stress environment sounds like a good idea. Try doing a few skills mid-water, too. That'll make sure your buoyancy control is fine

i should clarify that when i'm breathing on the top half, i'm not necessarily doing the giant gulp inhalation. i can copy my mentor's bubble exactly.

however, if i go for a deep exhalation, that's when the reflex kicks in and a giant inhalation ensues....and i watch the pressure guage plummet.

Try lying on your back on the floor and lift your knees (so your back isn't stressed) with your feet on the floor.

Then breathe in using your diaphram. That is "stomach" breathing. If that doesn't draw the air into the bottom of your lungs, I'd suggest going to an allergist. It could mean undiagnosed asthma.

I'm talking from experience.

Good luck.

Try breathing 'normally'.

i should clarify that when i'm breathing on the top half, i'm not necessarily doing the giant gulp inhalation. i can copy my mentor's bubble exactly.

however, if i go for a deep exhalation, that's when the reflex kicks in and a giant inhalation ensues....and i watch the pressure guage plummet.
Yoga is great to learn proper breathing. I'm always amazed at how poorly people breathe, especially my patients. They breathe from their shoulders instead of their diaphragm.
Being a musician, I learned breathe control as a kid. It has really helped my scuba.
You might also try some Guided Imagery for relaxation. Belle Ruth Naperstak has some really good CDs, I like the one for Insomnia and also the PTSD ones best and recommend them to help you practice a deep, slow breath cycle.
Then, when you get in the water you can recall the imagery to help you relax.

raoulsttexas

If it's not comfortable / natural for you then don't do it. Over time you will probably see that change but in the meantime burp you BC a tad instead of depriving your lungs. I bet you grow into it but don't force it.

Stretching a bit with tricks like the fin pivot's not a bad idea and may accelerate the evolution.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom