Help buying equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KJHorton

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are new to buying equipment. A local dive shop is having an anniversary sale (20% off) and I found the following price for a package:

Sherwood Solaris (or Axis) BCD
Aqualung Titan LX regulator
Aqualung ABS octo
Suunto 2 gauge console

Price: $886

This looks like a great price to us, what do you think? The 20% off is only this weekend and it looks like the same equipment is about $583 at another local shop.

I am thinking about replacing the Aqualung ABS octo with the Aqualung Calypso/Titan model, which may add a small amount. Any recommendations?

Also, for about $300 more you can add the Suunto Vyper computer console. I haven't really looked at computers yet so I am not sure about this one. I am leaning toward waiting to decide what I really want but my husband is considering it.

Finally, the Solaris BCD felt really comfortable but I have never been diving with a BC without a cumberbun (spelling?). Now that I am home, I don't remember it having one. Has anyone ever regretted not having one or missed it?

Thanks for any and all input and recommendations.

Oops, the same equipment is about $1000 at another shop.

No responses, am I a dork diver or something?

Thanks.

Nope, not a dork :)
I do not think that you would even notice not having a cumberbun, I have one on my Knighthawk (great BC) and I still have to cinch up the belt when my wetsuit compresses at depth, so what's the point of having one anyway?

I'm sure someone will come along shortly to give some input on your other questions
(a thought .. if your buying 2 packages, you might want to ask if they (LDS) can do a little better price than what everyone else will get just buying one)

Sounds like alot of money to me, but not having a cummerbund is almost certainly an advantage. Less is more with BCs. I'd avoid consoles; most divers who have tried both wrist and console computers will prefer wrist. This would also be true for analog depth guages; sooner or later you're going to want to be able to check your depth and time on your wrist. Air pressure you only need to check occasionally, once you get some experience.

Packages are rarely the best way to go IMO, except for the dive shop that needs to move inventory. Unless, that is, you can get exactly what you want. If that's the case here, fine.

Oh yeah, one other thing. I've heard really bad things about the cheap aqualung octos. You might want to re-think that one.

Check out and dive a backplate and wing before you make up your mind. You'll be glad you did.

I bought an Aqualung Titan (with the Titan octo) as my first regulator, and it was a very good purchase. It's a very reliable regulator, breathes well, and is reasonably priced.

I would second the recommendation for wrist gauges. I started out with a console and found it very annoying to have to pull it up all the time to check my depth. Having the gauge on my wrist means I only have to glance at it.

I'd also recommend wrist gauges. They are much easier to read during the dive and you won't be dragging a console around behind you.

The only potential downside is that you have to pay a bit of attention where you put them in between / after dives to ensure you don't lose them. :)

Changed out my console for wrist gages because ofthe reasons stated above.
My compass and computer? I store them in a small neoprene computer mouse case that I got with my mouse, always inside my regulator bag

This is what I would recommend for the single tank new diver, probably upgrade the regs to xtx versions now.

Regulator
Primary – Apeks ATX50 (DIN) $ 314.95
Octopus - Apeks ATX50 Octopus $ 174.95

Buoyancy Compensator
Backplate - Dive Rite SS Backplate $ 136.00
Harness - Dive Rite Basic Harness $ 39.69
Wing - Dive Rite Venture Wing $ 339.00

Wetsuit - Xcel Titanium Polar Quad Density $ 350.00

Mask - Cressi-Sub Big Eyes $ 27.95

Fins - Scuba Pro Jet fins $ 64.95

Boots – Blue Reef 5mm $ 24.95

Cloves - Blue Reef 5mm $ 19.95

Compass - Suunto SK-7 Wrist Compass $ 64.95

Presure Gauge - OMS Brass PSI Pressure Gauge $ 93.86

Dive Computer - Suunto Mosquito Wrist Dive Computer $ 319.95

Dive Light - Underwater Kinetics Sunlight “C8 eLed” $ 74.95

Weight Belt – XS Scuba Weight Belt $ 31.95

Reel - Dive Rite Finger Spool $ 30.00

Safety Sausage - Dive Rite Marking Bag $ 99.00

Wistle – “Storm” Whistle, Orange $ 7.95

Knife - K-3 Stainless Steel

Tank - Steel E7 Series 100Cu $ 334.95

Gear Bag – XS Scuba Wheeled Backpack BG110 $ 175.95
________
Total $ 2725.90

PS. Most of the prices was from online suppliers and this rig would work for cold SoCal waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom