Help! Ducomi Pier - Dumaguete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is an email I received on December 24th when I enquired what was going on. Thought it best to ask somewhere who is there in Dauin.

Hello Bill,

I donÃÕ know who is spreading this rumour. It is true that some pillars of the pier need repairs, but it is still open for diving and they will certainly not demolish it. All repairs will be coordinated with the dive shops to ensure minimal ecological damage.

So you are still welcome to visit us!

Kind regards

Peter de Vos

Peter de Vos

Amontillado Beach & Dive Resort
Bulak, Dauin 6217
Oriental Negros
Philippines

Tel.: +63 906 2709 469
E-mail: info@amontilladoresort.com
Web: www.amontilladoresort.com

.... and here is the reply to my followup email with a few more details about plans for the pier:

Subject: RE: Ducomi Pier

Hello Bill,

Yes, once a rumor starts, it tends to get bigger and 'better' all the
time!

We are actually planning to x-ray the pillars so we can repair specific damages very precise without disturbing the marine habitat unnecessarily.

February is a very good time to dive here, so you will like it! By the way, with us you can dive at night at the Pier; we have a very good contact with owner (we also lease our property from him) and he allows us to do so. And the pier at night is amazing!

Our prices are all on the internet. A 20-dive package costs Euro 400,-Unfortunately you cannot pay by credit card here (cash only; Euro, Peso or large denominations USD) and a down payment is required into our German account (just to prepare you on a few of the practicalities!)

Looking forward to hear from you again!

Regards

Peter de Vos

Amontillado Beach & Dive Resort
Bulak, Dauin 6217
Oriental Negros
Philippines

Tel.: +63 906 2709 469
E-mail: info@amontilladoresort.com
Web: www.amontilladoresort.com

Eur400 for 20 dives... i wonder if thats all in or that's before the boat surcharge, the camera surcharge, the entrance fees, etc. etc. etc.

Eur400 for 20 dives... i wonder if thats all in or that's before the boat surcharge, the camera surcharge, the entrance fees, etc. etc. etc.

hmmm... I shouldn't have posted the "entire" email should I have? :D

That area is famous for that aren't they? In answer to the question no... those are extra fees charged by the municipalities involved... but then you already knew that :wink:

For anyone who is interested the "supplements" are listed on their webpage.

Since the area doesn't appear to be in major danger now, I'll likely postpone a trip there to a later date. I've already paid for my liveaboard to Tubbataha in April and am planning on doing El Nido and Coron also for this trip.

Thanks for the updates Matt and Bill. It's good to know that the pier owners and local dive community are working together in good faith.

hmmm. I guess I was just diving the "wrong" pier, the pier I was diving this morning (and many times before) had at least 15 pillars (still hundred and more left) totally cleaned and others "only"1-2 meters from the bottom on... also the small pier is effected even it was said that the small pier remains untouched.
It is also no problem to go nightdiving there without a specific resort.

It is still a world-class dive-site

I understand that Resort-owners tell that everything is perfect as it is their source of income, I just don't like when wrong facts are used to get dollars (or Euros) out of divers wallets.

But again, I might have dived (or dove ??? excuse my bad english..) the "wrong" pier since 4 years and nobody told me...

cheers

Rhoody

hmmm. I guess I was just diving the "wrong" pier, the pier I was diving this morning (and many times before) had at least 15 pillars (still hundred and more left) totally cleaned and others "only"1-2 meters from the bottom on... also the small pier is effected even it was said that the small pier remains untouched.
It is also no problem to go nightdiving there without a specific resort.

It is still a world-class dive-site

I understand that Resort-owners tell that everything is perfect as it is their source of income, I just don't like when wrong facts are used to get dollars (or Euros) out of divers wallets.

But again, I might have dived (or dove ??? excuse my bad english..) the "wrong" pier since 4 years and nobody told me...

cheers

Rhoody

Hi Rhoody,
I agree with you... if a resort owner lies thats not a very ethical way to make money :shakehead:

So having dived there over the last 4 years would you say the impact was minimal? 15 pillars out of over a 100 and the others only cleared around the bottom. You did say "It is still a world-class dive-site"

I haven't dived there yet..... Is it still worth traveling too?

Thanks!

definitely YES, it is a worldclass site with tons of interesting stuff. If not you just go to the car wrecks, had yesterday 11 Ghostpipes and 2 flambouyant cuttles 3 corpion leaffish and the usual critters like indian walkman there, my tank had the shape of a "old-fashioned" coke-bottle when I exit the water...

cheers

Rhoody

definitely YES, it is a worldclass site with tons of interesting stuff. If not you just go to the car wrecks, had yesterday 11 Ghostpipes and 2 flambouyant cuttles 3 corpion leaffish and the usual critters like indian walkman there, my tank had the shape of a "old-fashioned" coke-bottle when I exit the water...

cheers

Rhoody

Ahh... good to know theres still plenty to see :) It does make sense to make repairs now rather than later when the impact would likely be much greater.... Thanks!

cheers

Rhoody

what the hoot is an indian walkman Rhoody?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom