Help End Shark Finning and the sale of Shark Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Making the aquisition and sales of shark fins, just like rhino horn, elephant tusks, marijuana, etc., and passing legislation with fines and prison terms for possession, use and sales only creates a black market, extremely high prices for the product, creates interest and fuels crime plus puts money in the wrong pockets, in other word criminals and law enforcement. It ain't going away so forget it. (This from your ignorant and arrogant reporter.)

I think you are probably right but again I think thats still no reason to do nothing.

There is always some Cause you people want the rest of us to get on board with.
Get over yourselves. You are small fish in a big pond.

It's late, and I can't reply at length now, but please do enlighten me about "you people". I would so like to know who we are, at least in your enlightened opinion ....

The US is actually one of the major suppliers of shark fin soup.
Why do you have so strong feelings about it being bad that people care about this? Does it ruin your daily life?

So, let me be sure I get this right ... In your opinion, if it doesn't affect my daily life, there's no good reason why this should be an issue to me. Is that correct? If I can go about my life, take a dive trip now and then, see a few fishies, there's really no problem, right?

So, let me be sure I get this right ... In your opinion, if it doesn't affect my daily life, there's no good reason why this should be an issue to me. Is that correct? If I can go about my life, take a dive trip now and then, see a few fishies, there's really no problem, right?

I think you may have misunderstood "jegernorsk" Im pretty sure it was in response to "falcon125" post and he questioning why falcon125 response was so strong.

It's late, and I can't reply at length now, but please do enlighten me about "you people". I would so like to know who we are, at least in your enlightened opinion ....

Im kind of curious too as to who "we" are? or does it simply mean people who care and are concerned about the environment and the world they live in, the same world we will be passing onto our children.

Yeah, that was a respond to falcon125. I'm just curious why he is against people who are against shark finning and care about the ecosystem. Seems like a stupid thing to fight.

Edit: spelling

Yeah, that was a respond to falcon125. I'm just curious why he is against people who are against shark finning and care about the ecosystem. Seems like a stupid thing to fight.

Edit: spelling

Oops, my bad ... sorry, jegernorsk. It was going on midnight when I wrote that reply.

And regarding falcon125's remark, "No reason to pay any attention here in the US.", perhaps he should understand that besides the fact that it's the ocean ecosystem that keeps him and everyone else on Earth alive, there's the little fact that California and other West Coast areas are home to one of the largest populations of Chinese outside of China, and make up a sizable market for shark fin soup. These states (plus Vancouver, BC) are actively working to ban shark fin products. And what is propelling them along this path??? Petitions signed by thousands of ordinary people, around the world, who understand the importance of this issue. I guess they're all more of "you people".

No reason to pay any attention here in the US. We dont eat the stuff.
Take your concerns where they belong. With the people of asian origin.

Sharks, Lionfish whatever. There is always some Cause you people want the rest of us to get on board with.
Get over yourselves. You are small fish in a big pond.

Let me take you to a small place called Oakland Chinatown in California.
I'll take you to San Francisco Chinatown after.

We can then stop at all the other asian towns and markets in the state of California before going to New York and taking a look there.

Could someone please explain to me what the eradication of theparticular type of shark whose fin is on the menu would effect the ocean ecosystem other than, with their demise, an abundance of the types of fish they eat, for the rest of us to enjoy, and fewer one-legged human beings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom