Help finding new AI dive resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I mean there are 15 people on that boat, but it is big so they have room to move around I guess. In my mind, that is a cattle boat.

Roomy, comfortable, sun or shade, protection from rain and spray, a head, but slow. I can do that.

Roomy, comfortable, sun or shade, protection from rain and spray, a head, but slow. I can do that.

That is why I went with 'free range' cattleboat. Like other cattle boats, but with more room to move around. Some people like to lay out and sun themselves during a LONG trip to and from the dives or need a giant table to work on cameras, etc etc.

Thank goodness or fast boats would be booked full all the time.

Has anyone had any experience with Pro Dive at the Allegro? I am seeing a pretty interesting Groupon for the hotel but I understand it's somewhat off the beaten path to have a viable alternate dive shop...

Remember it's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean... oh wait that's something else....

Sometimes (mostly in Cozumel) we broadly classify a cattle boat by the size of the boat and not necessary the experience. Pretty much anything bigger than a panga or six pack boat becomes blanketed as a 'cattle boat'. But obviously that's a really broad stroke, especially outside of Cozumel where large boats are preferred due to the comfort they afford in conditions that aren't the glass like conditions we are used to diving the sheltered dive sites of cozumel. Outside cozumel you'll typically be on larger boats and have 10-25 divers on board, but the diving and divers could easily be much different than cozumel, you could easily find yourself in the water without a dive master, where the boat is only a ride to the dive site and nothing more, so the cattle boat operation I'm more careful to classify based on the experience not the boat, I'd consider it 'cattle boat' when you got tons of inexperienced divers being herded by the dive op as quickly as they can in and out of the water, where the operators focus on profits instead of diving is very transparent. Snorkelers on a dive boat is not always, but sometimes a good indicator you're on a cattle boat.

Has anyone had any experience with Pro Dive at the Allegro? I am seeing a pretty interesting Groupon for the hotel but I understand it's somewhat off the beaten path to have a viable alternate dive shop...

Oh heck no. Right on the way to most of the dive sites. I imagine about anyone would pick up there. Including Scuba With Alison. Who by the way just got two new 200 hp four strokes in operation.

Thanks for the correction. I meant no offense to Dressel - or to Pro Dive, for that matter. I just think a DM with long experience on Cozumel is invaluable for a great dive.

I agree completely. A bad DM will make a horrible dive.

I just returned from Coz and dove with Pedro from Blue XT Sea.......11,000 dives.........one of the best DM's I have ever had the pleasure to dive with.......made my whole trip that much better diving with a DM who knows every centimeter of the reef. : )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom