Help! First Gear - Need your input!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good evening,

Many of you have seen my posts on the forum, and I have more questions - so I appreciate everyone's input. I am a new diver. I will be doing (1) reef dives from the beaches of Florida, (2) charter dives in Florida off the coast, and (3) traveling to the Caribbean and doing charter dives. I will not be going anywhere else with my setup, and I will not be going deeper than 130 feet. Ever.

Regulator: I am going a bit overboard and getting an Aqua Lung Legend LX (but getting it for $482)
Question: Should I buy DIN or Yoke? DIN has the benefit of being more secure (using your own o-ring in your first stage) but the negative is that every time I rent a tank, or go on a charter I have to worry about the availability of a DIN tank or I have to lug around an adapter which I really don't want to do. My sales guy made me think that Yoke is just not as good, but it has been around forever! Also, I am concerned with ease of breathing, and apparently the DIN will be better for this because it has a larger hole (true?). Considering my uses, what wold you do?

BC: I am going back and forth on the Aqua Lung Axiom (non I3) (for $403) and the Aqua Lung Dimension (i3) (for $417)
Question 1 (to I3 or not I3): Many, many sales people have told me to stay away from an I3 because they are over-engineered. But friends with the I3 systems say that they love them. The pro of the I3 system for me is that I have difficulty deflating my BC when descending because I always want to stay horizontal (which apparently you can do with the Dimension I3, but not the Axiom non I3). I dove today with another back-inflate, the Balance, which I hated because it put too much pressure on my back. I find both the Axiom and the Dimension comfortable, but the Axiom was a bit more comfortable. What would you do?

Question 2: (air source or regular inflator): I am debating between buying a Legend octopus or skipping the octopus altogether and getting an air source inflator. I don't know enough about the differences between these two things enough to make an informed decision. However, I was told that the air sourse inflator could be an issue with a buddy that needs air, because you have to give him your primary regulator while you breath from the air source inflator, but on the other hand you have one less thing floating around. The price of the AL air source is $105 and the Legend octopus is $156.

Computer: I am debating between the Suunto Zoop console (for $333) (not air-integrated) and the Suunto Cobra console (for $563) (air integrated and includes a compass). The Cobra is $200 more, which isn't that big of a deal considering it is air-integrated. But, do I really need it? Also, are there different Cobra's?

Last edited:
I'll throw my 002psi in...after 27 years of diving, this is what I've come to:

Simple is best.

Reg: Get the Yoke. You'll be able to use your gear anywhere in the world. For what it's worth, I have a plain ole Titan. And it's great.

BC: I haven't used either the I3 or non I3 but again, keep it simple. I would go with non-I3.

Octo: Get one and forget the Air Source. In fact, I use a completely rebuilt conshelf and it breathes as good as my Titan.

Computer: I would go for a wrist mount (again my personal preference) and I'd get the Zoop. Air integration? Na....

Again, these are My preferences. I've had all the gadgets, etc., but as you can see, simple wins in the long run. And maybe you'll save some bank in the process.

Lisa

I would buy this (the first package, small wing, AL plate)

Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems (BPW) by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

And pair it with this, you can get yoke or din but from what you described yoke will suit you well.

Edge Gear D1/Epic Regulator Combo - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Air source vs Octo is up to you, I went back and forth for a while for my first new regulator purchase. I really really wanted the Air source to streamline my setup and lose a hose but I ended up deciding on the traditional Octo (bungied) because I want to keep my regulator separate form my bc should I ever have to use a different bc and I wanted a back-up that breathes just as well as my primary. I also chose the DIN first stage because I have my own HP tanks that I dive primarily. When I do travel I don't mind the idea of an adapter and I use an STA so that should alleviate any clearance issues. If I rented tanks often yoke would definitely be my choice. Do you ever see your self buying your own tanks? If you buy the said gear you can put the money you saved towards purchasing your own steel tanks and use DIN while your home at least.

I would buy this (the first package, small wing, AL plate)

Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems (BPW) by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

And pair it with this, you can get yoke or din but from what you described yoke will suit you well.

Edge Gear D1/Epic Regulator Combo - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Air source vs Octo is up to you, I went back and forth for a while for my first new regulator purchase. I really really wanted the Air source to streamline my setup and lose a hose but I ended up deciding on the Octo (bungied) because I want to keep my regulator separate form my bc should I ever have to use a different bc and I wanted a back-up that breathes just as well as my primary. I also chose the DIN first stage because I have my own HP tanks that I dive primarily, when I do travel I don't mind the idea of an adapter and I use an STA so that should alleviate any clearance issues. If I rented tanks often yoke is a no brainer. Do you ever see your self buying your own tanks? If you buy the said gear you can put the money you saved towards purchasing your own steel tanks and use DIN while your home at least.

+1 but would suggest you look at the long hose primary with a bungee'd secondary around your neck

For the computer issue, see your computer post. I already replied to that.

Regulator, get a yoke. You won't be using DIN tanks unless you go to a tech shop, the shop has DIN/yoke Pro tank valves, or you buy your own DIN tanks. For rec diving you have very little chance of knocking the yoke first stage enough to unseal. Just don't go swimming your first stage into obstacles when you're at 300psi.

For a BC, don't get the I3. It is over-engineered, kinda like heated seats. Nifty but not needed, and sometimes can create unneeded issues, such as general maintenance/rinsing of the mechanism. If your standard inflator has a problem in the field, you can just buy a generic one and replace it. All you need is wire cutters and zip ties; 3 min repair if I were to explain it to you over the phone. If your I3 has a problem in the field, it's a day at the shop at least, assuming you don't need parts.

If you have trouble venting in a horizontal position, use your right shoulder dump instead of the inflator hose. You'll find that your issue will clear up completely. This is in fact exactly what the I3 does for you.

If you have trouble controlling the amount of air you deflate with, try reaching over your shoulder and grabbing the line instead of the bobble. You can also use your butt dump.

Two caveats before offering responses to your questions:

1. Gear selection is very personal. There is no one and only one 'right' gear rig for everyone. A capable diver can comfortably dive with essentially every kind of gear configuration. All that people (myself included) who respond to posts such as yours can do is tell you what WE like / don't like, and why.

2. Newer divers generally tend to go with more complex gear (although they usually don't think that is what they are doing), usually with more bells and whistles. And, that is perfectly acceptable. It is their money, after all. It often takes time to build the body of experience needed to understand why the gear is (needlessly) complex, and why the bells and whistles are unnecessary.
. . . and I will not be going deeper than 130 feet. Ever.
I love it! You may turn out to be right. But, you also may find you like diving, in which case . . . who knows how deep you will go.

Regulator: Question: Should I buy DIN or Yoke? DIN has the benefit of being more secure (using your own o-ring in your first stage) but the negative is that every time I rent a tank, or go on a charter I have to worry about the availability of a DIN tank or I have to lug around an adapter which I really don't want to do. My sales guy made me think that Yoke is just not as good, but it has been around forever! Also, I am concerned with ease of breathing, and apparently the DIN will be better for this because it has a larger hole (true? - NO.). Considering my uses, what wold you do? Go with yoke. You can easily convert it to DIN later, if you wish - and I say this as someone who uses DIN regs almost exclusively, except when traveling without my own tanks. There is nothing wrong with a yoke reg for recreational diving.

BC
: Question 1 (to I3 or not I3): . . The pro of the I3 system for me is that I have difficulty deflating my BC when descending because I always want to stay horizontal (which apparently you can do with the Dimension I3, but not the Axiom non I3). Difficulty delflating a BCD while descending in a horizontal position is a matter of technique, and is unrelated to the BCD itself. I do not mean that as a criticism, merely a comment on what you will learn with more experience. In fact, when descending, about the only time you should need to deflate your BCD is near the surface, to begin your descent.

I dove today with another back-inflate, the Balance, which I hated because it put too much pressure on my back. Out of curiosity, what kind of pressure did it put on your back? That sounds more like an issue of fit than of function.

Question 2: (air source or regular inflator): I am debating between buying a Legend octopus or skipping the octopus altogether and getting an air source inflator. I don't know enough about the differences between these two things enough to make an informed decision. However, I was told that the air sourse inflator could be an issue with a buddy that needs air, because you have to give him your primary regulator while you breath from the air source inflator, but on the other hand you have one less thing floating around. Go with the octopus. It is simple and straightforward. There is no measureable 'streamlining' benefit in recreational OW diving associated with having one less hose, and if either your octopus or your inflator are 'floating around', you have a technique / gear rigging issue. And, notwithstanding the misguided advice you received in your other post, about a long hose and bungeed necklace - 'there is no need to have any of that' - I would recommend a long(er) primary hose and bungeed necklace configuration. If my primary second stage comes out of my mouth - it is kicked out by another diver, or the hose snags on a piece of a wreck, or an out of air diver snatches it out in panic - I want to know exactly where the alternate is, FOR ME. When it is rght under my chin on a bungee, I know where it is.

Computer: I am debating between the Suunto Zoop console (for $333) (not air-integrated) and the Suunto Cobra console (for $563) (air integrated and includes a compass). The Cobra is $200 more, which isn't that big of a deal considering it is air-integrated. But, do I really need it? Also, are there different Cobra's? No, you don't NEED it (and, no, there are not different Cobras) Air integration is a 'nice to have', nothing more (and I have it and like it, when I bother to use it. But, even then, my primary pressure information comes from my SPG). My first reg had a 2-gauge console. I still have it, and dive it, but all of my other regs have only a SPG on a HP hose, which I clip to a waist D-ring. I use only a (wrist-mounted) computer for depth, and my compass is wrist mount. It is hard to convince a newer diver to not go with a console, so I won't try, beyond saying that I prefer wrist mount. But, I wouldn't spend the extra $200 of air integration.

Last edited:
2. Newer divers generally tend to go with more complex gear (although they usually don't think that is what they are doing), usually with more bells and whistles. And, that is perfectly acceptable. It is their money, after all. It often takes time to build the body of experience needed to understand why the gear is (needlessly) complex, and why the bells and whistles are unnecessary.

As a newbie, I now feel kind of silly about actually tying a whistle to my inflator hose. Although maybe I should just add a bell...

As a newbie, I now feel kind of silly about actually tying a whistle to my inflator hose. Although maybe I should just add a bell...

You need a dive alert.

Bells and whistles is a turn of phrase. You need a surface noise maker and a whistle works fine for this. Even GUE allows for a whistle attached to the inflator hose and those guys are fanatical about KISS/ streamlining.

Yoke reg
standard octo
i3= solution looking for a problem, go with standard inflator
nitrox capable wrist comp, air integration is not really needed IMO and I have used both types.
spg or spg/depth for redundancy
i really like the sensus dive logger from dive rite express check it out at their website of you get a chance.

Happy diving

Back
Top Bottom