HELP, for larger size wetsuit!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonesee3

Reaction score
I really need some help! I am a size 18 in regular clothes (215 lbs and 5'8"). I am having the hardest time finding a full suit that fits! I have a shorty that fits in a size 16 (XCEL). But I am just getting started with SCUBA and really think I need a full suit. If anyone can help, PLEASE DO! This is becoming VERY frustrating! Also, if you have any pointers for a newby that would be great also!!!

I have no hips or chest so women's suits that were in my price range at the time didn't fit me right. My first purchase was a used men's medium I believe, it's been quite a while. Try on every wetsuit brand/style you can get your hands on or you can go with a custom-made suit. Since you're just starting wait until you decide exactly what kind of diving you'll do the most of before investing in your wetsuit.

Good Luck!
Ber :bunny:

I had a problem finding a wet suit that fit me properly when I was doing my OW. It was frustrating going through catalogues and trying to find something that I thought might fit.

I finally found a mens suit after trying on what seemed like a million suits. A shop called Inland Divers, which is near Worcester MA (in Leicester) can custom alter a suit -- you may find a mens suit that fits you, but the legs/sleeves may be too long. Find a shop like ID in your area, and see about having it tailored to you.

Finding a 7 mil I liked was difficult, but I bougth a ladies 2.5 off the rack last night -- first one I tried on.:)

Good luck. Having comfortable gear seems like half the battle.

may want to try the Henderson Hyperstretch suits... They stretch to fit (250% original size) and they are probably cheaper than going with a custom made suit. Not sure if they have plus sizes but it would be worth looking into.

The Henderson Hyperstretch suit is supposed to be able to go up two sizes. The largest women's size is a 14, which would probably fit you. They can also do custom suits. Depending on the contours of your body you might also consider trying a men's size and having it shortened. The stretchiness of the suit makes it much easier to find an acceptable fit.

Another option is buying a custom made suit from a supplier like www.aquaflite.com. I am considering this option to deal with my massive boobs and skinny legs. My Henderson suit fits in the body but I would be happier if the legs were cut a bit tighter.

One thing I have learned by wearing ill-fitting neoprene is that having a good seal at the neck is very important. If the neck is open it provides a handy channel for cold water to flood your body and cool you down. A thinner suit with a good neck seal keeps me warmer than a thick suit with this built in "refrigeration feature."

Big boobs make many aspects of fit difficult, including the fit at the neck. I have found that I am more likely to seal the cold water out if I opt for a back zip suit rather than a jacket and jane combination. That's why I like the Aquaflite line. They make a full jumpsuit with an optional core warmer. The fullsuit zips up the back and you can get it made in a material called "Oceanliner" which provides a skin to skin seal in all the important places. I haven't tried it, but it seams like it would work.

Is there anyone on here who owns one of these suits and would like to comment about how successful they are at maintaining body heat?

I have a size 12, 5mm Henderson Hyperstretch and I wear a 16 in pants. It is very easy to get on and off and has a lot of give.

You & I are almost exactly the same size. I LOVE Henderson Hyperstretch. I have a 2-piece 7 mm suit and a 3 mm jumpsuit. Both are men's sizes - XXL for the 7 mm (I like the extra stretch for the 7 mm because it's just sooooo 7 mm, even if it does stretch and I wear a polar fleece diveskin under it) and XL for the 3 mm. I got both of them from Leisure Pro, which has the best prices I've seen. Around $300 for the 7mm 2-piece and less than $200 for the 3 mm jumpsuit. I don't have a problem with the arms or legs being too long because I'm 5'8" and have long arms anyway, but I could see where that might be a problem for shorter women going to the men's suits. I could see the advantages of a custom suit, too, but Hyperstretch is great stuff!

Wordmonger

I have had my 1-pc hyperstretch fo a year now & have dived & dived in it (about 50 dives this year). It is comfortable, dries faster than my old one, & actually even looks good (Designed to make you look a little thinner)

as raviepoo already said, size 14, or XXL, is henderson's largest women's size.

i haven't tried the hyperstretch, but i have tried damned near every other henderson product. and the 14 should fit you fine.

trust me: i'm 5'8" and weigh umm....ummm...umm...

like i said, try a 14 :)

Hey there Jonesee3 --

I see from your post that you are located in Hawaii.... So you won't need a whole lot in terms of thermal protection.

In Hawaii, I use a 3 mil super stretch (like hyper stretch) full suit that I had custom made by Liquid Fit. www.liquidfit.com.

By all means, try the suggestions that the others have given -- but I also want to offer another couple of possibilities.

I'm drawing on my own experience as a plus size women, plus a number of plus size women who I have helped learn to dive. When I was first starting out, I didn't need much thermal protection, but I did want full skin protection to avoid srapes and such. I used a pair of leggings intended for water aerobics and a light weight neoprene jacket made for master swimmers. Jacket is from www.h2Owear.com and leggings from www.junonia.com. That worked really well for me until I scraped together enough money to buy a custom suit. A number of women I have worked with have used the leggings underneath a standard 3 mil shorty in addition to the extra protection, it also made getting the shorty on easier.

By the way, where in Hawaii are you? I'll be in Maui for Christmas.

Happy diving!

Liz
www.bigadventures.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom