Too fat for proper full wetsuit size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP, I'm between 5'9" and 5'10", and weight has been varying between 240 & 275 or so the last few years, and I've been fine with Neosport 3xl sizes -- I have them in both 5mm and 3/2 full suits. Yes the legs are a bit long, but I can still arrange it where it works o.k. Neosport is made by Henderson, but I don't know if their sizing is the same.

Temperature tolerance varies a lot by individual, and even though I'm big (fat) and hot natured, I can still get cold on multiple days of diving. I got the 5mm when doing a liveaboard in the Bahamas over the week of Christmas (along with 5mm boots) and was glad to have it in those conditions (up to 5 dives a day, low 70's water temp, a bit chilly air temp + wind on the boat, etc.). 5mm is kind of a "jack of all trades, master of none" and was good as my first wet suit. It was bearable even in July in Cozumel, and for November quarry dives in Tennessee I can pair it with a 3mm vest, 5mm hood, and gloves and be o.k. for thermoclines in the mid-50s. For summer trips to the Caribbean I do like my 3/2 full suit, which is easier to get into, dries faster, and takes a little less luggage space/weight.

And even though I like diving without a wetsuit (because I still feel a little like a sausage in one) these days I almost always wear a full suit (at least a 3/2) even in the tropics for protection against jellies/sea wasps, and unintended (but stuff happens) brushes with wrecks, fire coral, etc. I read a few places that anything less thick (1mm/skins) may not be as reliable for protection.

I use a Bare Reactive XL/short, and the sizing chart looks like a 2XL/Short might be a good fit for you.

I’m same height and similar weight. Henderson Thermoprene size XLS fits me well. I have it in 3 and 7mm.

@The Chairman can probably sympathize and offer some more direct advice but what he has said for as long as I've known him is "when you look like a manatee, you can dive like a manatee" and for him that means a tie dye t-shirt and bathing suit.
Sheesh! When you are BUILT like a manatee, you get to dive like one.

I've used custom wetsuits in the past, but I enjoy the chill.

I'm watching this thread with interest, but for a different reason. I'm 5'10" and was up to 238# when the Dr told me I had health problems and better lose weight. I'm down to 184 as of this morning and none of my old gear fits anymore so I got a new BP/W and am now looking at light weight exposure protection. Thank heavens for lycra skins when temp isn't a consideration!
🐸

Amazon has some neoprene zip tops and separate bottoms that might work. I have the 2.5 mil and really like them. You'll have to look at the size chart to see if they'll work. If you get them I recommend tucking the top into the bottom before you hit the water so the top doesn't ride up during the dive. These are also a good price, which is really important if you are actively losing weight. You don't want to spend a ton of money and then have to spend it all over when you reach a different size. These won't break the bank. The link below is for women's but make them for male as well.

Hopefully this link will take you to them - if not, the name is there to look up. Good luck!

GoldFin Wetsuit Pants Women, 2mm Neoprene Pants Keep Warm for Water Aerobics Diving Surfing Swimming Snorkeling Scuba Kayaking Pants

Any recommendations on full dive skins/rashguards?
Get your trim and buoyancy in control and you won't need it. :D :D :D

Situational awareness is also a good thing.

And @tbone1004 the quote is "When you're built like a manatee, you get to dive like one!". As many times as you've heard it in person, I'm surprised you can't get it right. Of course, it can be embarrassing when the Save the Manatee peeps keep pushing you back in the water.

Get your trim and buoyancy in control and you won't need it. :D :D :D

Situational awareness is also a good thing.

And @tbone1004 the quote is "When you're built like a manatee, you get to dive like one!". As many times as you've heard it in person, I'm surprised you can't get it right. Of course, it can be embarrassing when the Save the Manatee peeps keep pushing you back in the water.
someone hasn't dove with me in too long, my memory is getting foggy so we have to go dive soon for a refresher on your quotes

someone hasn't dove with me in too long, my memory is getting foggy so we have to go dive soon for a refresher on your quotes
When you come, you'll find that your Pineapple drink is now carbonated. :D :D :D

Back to the real topic, there are a few places who make custom wetsuits and they aren't much more than quality off the shelf suits. www.WetWear.com was one. Give Connie and Gene my love as they make the best suit I've ever worn... even if only every now and then. :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom