Help for Newbie Diver: Scuba Pro Twin Jets vs. Apollo Biofin Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never used the Apollos, but have two pairs of the Twin Jets, one size for diving with a wetsuit and neoprene booties and another size for diving with a drysuit. One's blue and the other's yellow, so they are the same composition as the ones you are looking at. The main advantage of being slightly positively buoyant is that they don't sink if you let go of them (been known to happen on shore dives when something odd happens). It's not really noticeable when swimming.

I have never had a problem using these fins snorkeling, swimming at the surface, swimming in current, or swimming at the surface in current. They are actually very powerful fins - you just don't feel it in your legs the way you do with paddle fins. The first time I used them, it felt like I wasn't going anywhere, because I did not feel the tension in my legs that I felt with the Mares Quattros I was using. But when I tested them head-to-head, it was clear that I was getting better results for less effort with the Twin Jets. Use a short, quick flutter kick for maximum effect. I don't know why you can't get the black Twin Jets, but if you like a stiffer fin, that would be a good alternative.

Now, despite my defense of my Twin Jets, if you liked the Apollos better, that's probably what you should get. Any differences there might be between the fins are probably less important than making you comfortable with your gear. If you feel good about it, you will be a more comfortable and confident diver, which is what it is all about. Heck, if having pink, purple, or green fins makes you feel better, go for it. Personally, I think a lot of the discussion you have heard that led you to ask your questions is off-base (particularly the part about Twin Jets not being good in current), but who cares other people think. If it feels good to you, it's the right thing.

I've got the Yellow Bios with Spring Straps factory welded on. I haven't tried any of the Jets, but got these after years of increasing ankle pain and the occasional cramp using various conventional fins.

After a brief trip to the keys and an extensive trips to Roatan, I love the Bios. They do propel me quickly on the random occasion that I try that, but more importantly the move me along at the leisurely pace I choose with little effort. I haven't tried them in much of a current.

The spring straps are comfortable and go on and off so easily that it's crazy to wear fins any longer without them. On the Bios, the spring straps seem built to last for ever.

Got a pair of Bios without the spring straps.Figured I would wait until one broke,which maybe never. The straps from my 10 year old Quatros are still in great shape. I always liked how the clip would open up on them thus making them easy to put on then snap shut. I swaped these out and they are now on my Bio's and I still have my old Bio straps if one of the Mares Quatros break. Springs????? Well maybe when I have no more straps left,,,which maybe a very long time. Just like the Mares clip.

I have both Apollo Bio Fins and SP black Twin Jets (I can hear my wife's voice in my head ... "Honey, do you really need four different sets of fins?"). I use both sets of fins interchangeably and don't really notice the difference anymore.

The Bio fins tend to be more flexible ... you hardly notice you're wearing them. The SP Twin Jets are a bit wider, so they tend to knock together more until you get used to them. I MUCH prefer the Bio fin strap, because it has a solid loop that sticks out a bit, which makes easier grabbing in the surf zone. I don't have the stainless steel straps though....a couple of pieces of electrical tape and the regular straps accomplish the same thing for me.

I prefer the Bio fin for face down snorkeling, although only slightly more; it's more flexible, so less likely to flip up out of the water as you paddle.

Long story short: both are great fins.

I have black twin jets (which are heavier, stiffer and negatively buoyant) and have never had a problem with them when diving in a current. When diving in the Red Sea, I felt almost lazy as I barely had to kick at all to get anywhere, whereas everyone else was kicking hard! They really are great fins. In fact at times I've almost felt like I wasn't wearing them! They're very comfortable to dive with.

However, I've never tried the other fins to compare them with. My advice would be just to go with what YOU find most comfortable. Some people have opinions and experiences with kit that others don't - it's all a matter of personal opinion. :)

Back
Top Bottom