Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Chepar,

I think it is sort of a combination of things. I too hade trouble making it up the beach with all that gear when I was making my certification dives.

Now, by combination of things I mean, that you will get used to carrying all that stuff around, and the getting used to doesn't take that long. You will also get stronger and build up the muscles needed to haul that stuff every time you dive.

So, the more you dive, the easier it will get because you will be building both strength and tolerance for the weight of the gear.

And remember, you are not alone with this trouble. If you need help, ask for it. It has been my experience that there is always someone around willing to help.

Chepar, don't feel too bad, believe it or not even experienced divers have "weak" days. I help in the pool every week with a class and some days when getting out of the pool after class I think someone tied extra lead to me while I wasn't looking! The tank seems to weigh a lot more than it did when I got in!

Leaning forward helps a lot, just make sure you don't end up with a piece of lead positioned under your tank, nothing like having that driven into your spine!

How big is your youngster? Piggyback rides would make a great workout!

Ber :bunny:

Ber:

My daughter just turned 6 yesterday, and I have actually considered a piggyback training program using her as the pseudo-tank.

However, I would first have to impress upon her that wrapping her arms around my neck and choking me while on my back is neither an acceptable or recommended piggyback maneuver. :D

Thanks for the input guys!

Chepar,

If you're ever going to dive a drysuit w/ latex seals, wrapping her arms around your neck while choking you will definately pay off!!

Also, new divers tend to overweight themselves. The more you dive, the less weight you will have in the weight belt. That may help a bit as well. When I started diving, I was wearing 22 lbs or so. Now, I am only wearing 10 for ocean diving and 5 for fresh water. Try testing your weight in a pool and see if you cant reduce it a little...

I'm certain you will get used to the weight of the gear.

Maybe this will motivate you:

My dive buddy (and GF) is tiny. She's only 159cm (5'2") and 43kg (96.7lbs). When we first got certified, she could not stay on her feet at all during beach entries and exits. Exits were really bad for her. Half of the time, she was crawling out of the water on all fours. During the other half, I was dragging her out of the water by the shoulder straps of her BC, because she was completely exhausted. When we would get home, she would crawl into bed and say something like "I think I'm going to die..." under her breath, then collapse into a long nap.

But, only after about ten dives, even she got used to carrying around all that gear. She now claims that the weight of the gear does not bother her (much). Which is suprsing because the gear weighs almost 70% of her body weight out of the water. It's not as if she is exceptionally strong for her size either (she would starve to death if I was not around to open all the jars of food at home).

So, if my weakling GF can get used to carrying around her gear, I'm sure that just about anyone else can too.

You can do it!!!

When I first got my drysuit and saw how little that rubber neck seal was I wasn't sure I'd be able to wear it. When donning it my buddy and I refer to it as emerging from the womb! You will benefit from getting used to having something wrapped around your neck! Ever wear a 1/4 inch neoprene hood? (I haven't gotten into mm wetsuits yet!) Being used to having something wrapped snugly around your neck before you wear one is a bonus! I say go for the piggyback rides, choking and all!

Ber :bunny:

Hi chepar---

I'm a large woman diver, and I am especially sensitive to the clumsy 'beached whale' syndrome!

What I have found is, once I'm down and rolling around in the sand, the only thing left to do is to squeeze the quick releases and drop the bc & tank. Now, I can stand up, dust myself off, and figure out how to pick up the gear.... can I just lug it by the tank valve, do I want to sling it up on top of my shoulder, or do I want to put it back on.... or maybe, I want to make two trips.

Having said that, I would also agree with what has already been said. Once you get the right amount of weight, and get it positioned properly, things get easier... sometimes some weight on your ankles helps to balance things out. I prefer weight belts to integrated weights because I can snug up the weight belt upon descent and the weight doesn't slip or move.

Again, sometimes once you get your own gear and get a bit more experience, you'll find your own tricks.

Another trick of mine is that if at all possible (depending on surf) -- I exit slowly so that the weight comes back to me gradually, and I take my time finding my center of gravity --- it seems to me that balance is a big part of it. When I have had trouble has been trying to rush out of the water before I really "have it together".

And, I maintain a modest pace across the beach back to the 'unloading' spot -- it's not a race.

Finally, remember, that it has happened to the best of us!

Liz

Detroit Diver; right you are! Getting them on and off is Not unlike giving birth to your own head! (just ask your mother, it was no fun then, and it will Never be fun)
Chepar, I would add to the accumulation of terrific advise you have already recieved with two little nuggets of my own. I completely understand the economics of single motherhood and cudos to you for having enough money to even Consider a sport like SCUBA. First, a weight integrated BC is a GodSend. Getting that lead to hang from your powerful shoulders is MUCH easier on the bod than having it circle the waist. For the economical part, start hounding the pawn shops, classifieds, or E-Bay for a used one. They can be had! (Make sure to have it inspected by a certified gear technician before you use it). Second, I know that PADI offers a Peak Performance Bouyancy(sp?) class where they teach you great techniques for lung control and wearing as little lead as possible. I have managed to pare down from 32lbs to 17 in little over a year. Hope this helps, Good Luck!

It does get a little better but I still look akward as hell sometimes. Oh well. If you think your gear is heavy, dive with us here in the Northwest! I carry about 30 pounds of lead, a stell 95 tank, a 7mm full suit with boots, hood and gloves and usually a dive light. I would guess about 70 pounds. I do a lot of diving that includes climbing over rock jetties. I usually get my gear as close to the water as possible in multiple trips and assemble it there. I put my BC on before entering the water and put my fins on in the water.

Scott:jester:

Back
Top Bottom