Help me decide a cheap road trip at the last minute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My finacee and I opened up a week of time during the last week of May and would like to take a little road trip to do some diving. We are on a budget, and were thinking about maybe the Springs, Key Largo, or maybe Ft. Lauderdale. We would be starting our diving from Ohio. I would generally pick the wrecks off NC, but she gets sea sick everytime we dive there.

KidK9:
My finacee and I opened up a week of time during the last week of May and would like to take a little road trip to do some diving. We are on a budget, and were thinking about maybe the Springs, Key Largo, or maybe Ft. Lauderdale. We would be starting our diving from Ohio. I would generally pick the wrecks off NC, but she gets sea sick everytime we dive there.

You may be better off flying with the price of gas! :06:

I'd head down to FL. Dive Jupiter.... Dive the WPB area (Boynton, WPB), maybe hit Lauderdale by the Sea, and then head down to Key Largo, and do some nice reefs or wrecks!

That would be my plan anyway. You could also do some springs on the way down, or back.

L8R

What about heading west and doing the Bonne Terre Mines in Missouri. I am pretty sure there wont be a seasick problem there. LOL

http://www.2dive.com/btm.htm

You can fly on Southwest Airlines from Columbus to St. Louis for about $335.00 That is round trip, for both of you.

Key largo is very nice and you could do the wpb stuff on the way down. The only problem with Key Largo depends upon the size of your budget. There is nothing in the way of shore diving in that area, so you are dependent upon the boat diving prices.

If you can afford it though, the wrecks there are great to dive.

Ginger pills and ginger candy are very good for sea-sickness.

Kat:
What about heading west and doing the Bonne Terre Mines in Missouri. I am pretty sure there wont be a seasick problem there. LOL

http://www.2dive.com/btm.htm

You can fly on Southwest Airlines from Columbus to St. Louis for about $335.00 That is round trip, for both of you.

My RMO buddy Dan did Bonne Terre. He said it was very cool, and it's also VERY COOL (58F) so definatley 7mm territory or Dry.

Unfortunately what Bonne Terre is not is cheap! :huh: At $210 (two dives, one night lodging) per person it's rather expensive especially for the amount of diving one gets. I did not see any option to just dive, and not get the room, but I did not look that well.

There has been both positive and negative things said about the way the thing is run. You basically must follow a guide, and they won't let one carry a light which is rather odd. Only the guides carry lights, and that has been criticized by more than a few.

dbg40:
keylargobrent@hotmail.com

Key Largo, Brent is the man! You'll have a ball.

Here. Here.

Key Largo Brent and Blue Water Divers are the finest dive operation in the Keys!!!

And that's a documented fact! I've got the documents right here to prove it!

JimJam:
Here. Here.

Key Largo Brent and Blue Water Divers are the finest dive operation in the Keys!!!

And that's a documented fact! I've got the documents right here to prove it!

Jim, lets not get excited,, How much wil it take to keep those "documents" out of the public eye?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom