Help me move to South Florida.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is really good stuff! Keep it rolling in.

I'm about to put a large map on the wall and put some old school pins and sticky notes on it.

I lived in Florida for just shy of 10 years until last year when I moved to ATL. I lived in the Jupiter/Palm Beach Gardens area and we enjoyed it. Diving is good in Jupiter, WPB and Boynton where it's mostly drifting and the Keys are only a 3 hour drive. I miss waking up on Saturday morning, rolling out of bed and heading to the dock 10 minutes away to catch a boat to dive. Makes for a nice morning, especially since I was usually back at the dock early enough to meet my non-diving wife for lunch. I've done a few Tec dives on the deep reef, but it's Tec-lite. There are more deeper sites south, into Broward County.

If you like beach diving then Lauderdale by the Sea and Hollywood are good choices. The diving in Pompano and FLL is also good, lots of wrecks though not quite as much drift diving as Palm Beach County.

Welcome to Atlanta! By the way since I live here and dive where you lived; why did you move? Also have you done any diving up here?

Welcome to Atlanta! By the way since I live here and dive where you lived; why did you move? Also have you done any diving up here?

Thanks for the welcone. I moved here for the job. While I miss the water and ultra convenient diving, I really do like ATL. My wife is happier with seasons and I like being close to the north Georgia and Carolina mountains. I didn't grow up with seasons (Florida and California), so don't really care, but have enjoyed the mild winters so far. My other major distraction after diving is motorcycling and that sucked in Florida because of the boring straight roads and mixed assortment of bad drivers. Here, I'm 40 mins from the mountains and can roll out of bed and take a morning ride up to the hills for 4 or 5 hours and enjoy some great twisties. I have friends south of town who do the same on the twisty back country roads too.

To dive, I usually head to the gulf, Destin, PCB or Gulf Shores. They're all about the same drive time. I've also dove Morrison and Vortex. I've dove Loch Low Minn a couple of times thIs summer and was planning on a dive at Dive Georgia this weekend, but it got too cold for me. I've also taken about 10 trips back to the Keys since moving here. I get to Florida for work and if I can swing in a weekend side trip to the Keys , I'll do it. I'm only getting in about half the dives annually that I used to do while I lived in FL, but putting infinitely more miles on the bike..... there's trade offs to all places.

Last edited:
I lived in South Florida (Key Largo, actually) for 7 years. We had two seasons: hot and hotter. Mosquitoes were ubiquitous and I just moved to North Florida this year. I love it. We actually have seasons up here but the caves stay a balmy 70 degrees year round. Better still, I can still dive the rest of Florida if I want. As for "part time work in the industry": good luck. You can work a deal for free rides in exchange for DM services better in the middle of the state like Boyton Beach and surroundings. It's still a crap shoot and making a living is questionable. My suggestion? If you have the time, rent a house for a month in different areas of Florida.

I cut my teeth in cold water diving here in Monterey California and I love it. However the dive culture runs heavy in Florida and I need more. Wrecks and Tech are great and cruising reefs works too.

Where should I live? I would like to buy a house somewhere north or south of Miami. FLL to Homestead just not IN Miami probably but I'll keep an open mind. I thought about the Keys but the place would be small and the walls would close in on me after time I think.

I have the money to purchase and the commitment, with the post Irma prices and such no time is better than now.

What is your input on where to live with a possible part time job(s) in the industry?

Thank-you

I live in Kendall and can get anywhere on a Saturday morning pretty easy. I can hit the Keys in 45 minutes, Miami Beach in 25 mins and Jupiter in less than 2 hours. If you goto Homestead you will be about 25 mins from the Keys. I cant speak much for real-estate up north but in Miami-Dade i have flipped 15 properties in the last 10 years so if you need any help with some specific let me know. Also be thankful of no state income tax here.

Thanks for the welcone. I moved here for the job. While I miss the water and ultra convenient diving, I really do like ATL. My wife is happier with seasons and I like being close to the north Georgia and Carolina mountains. I didn't grow up with seasons (Florida and California), so don't really care, but have enjoyed the mild winters so far. My other major distraction after diving is motorcycling and that sucked in Florida because of the boring straight roads and mixed assortment of bad drivers. Here, I'm 40 mins from the mountains and can roll out of bed and take a morning ride up to the hills for 4 or 5 hours and enjoy some great twisties. I have friends south of town who do the same on the twisty back country roads too.

To dive, I usually head to the gulf, Destin, PCB or Gulf Shores. They're all about the same drive time. I've also dove Morrison and Vortex. I've dove Loch Low Minn a couple of times thIs summer and was planning on a dive at Dive Georgia this weekend, but it got too cold for me. I've also taken about 10 trips back to the Keys since moving here. I get to Florida for work and if I can swing in a weekend side trip to the Keys , I'll do it. I'm only getting in about half the dives annually that I used to do while I lived in FL, but putting infinitely more miles on the bike..... there's trade offs to all places.

Glad to hear you have settled in fine. I would recommend skipping Dive Georgia, it isn't special; just close. I would say the best local diving is Lake Jocassee in South Carolina (about 2 hour drive) and there is shore diving as well as boat diving there. Vis is good to excellent and water temp in aug/sept will be mid-upper 70s down to 90-100ft depth.

There are plenty divers who dive Lake Lanier (I am one of them) year round; and vis can be OK-Good.

NGA has some of the best motorcycle roads in America! 28A,....hmmmm! Lucky you!

In college we use to ride the on off ramps of I4/I95 to enjoy twistes in Florida:wink:

+1 for the West Palm Beach (Blue Heron Bridge), Boynton Beach and Delray Beach vicinity. That would be my area of choice if I were to make a move from the west to east. Incredible reef diving out of WPB, Jupiter, Boynton/Delray and relatively short drives (by CA metrics) to the Florida Keys for additional reefs and wrecks. Great nearby airport in Fort Lauderdale for domestic and international travel. Works for me and my preferred type of diving and lifestyle- Oh yeah, you could always drive up north to visit @The Chairman to dive some caves if so inclined.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom