help me narrow my search-please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as for the thistlegorm; i thought all now had to leave at 5am now since the accident last nov where several spanish divers drowned when the boat sunk?
This accident has nothing to do with daily boats. Normal daily boats from Sharm to the Thistlegorm leave at 4:30 - 5:00 AM and the couple of faster boats leave at 7:00 AM.

There are still a few of the older schedule where you leave dahab 11am, sleep on deck until 5am then the boat leaves. I hate and dont do those!

There are still a few of the older schedule where you leave dahab 11am, sleep on deck until 5am then the boat leaves. I hate and dont do those!
I don't like those either but not because of the schedule. Actually I don't like the idea of sharing boats between dive operators, even on the faster boats.

i get the impression scubarob wants the experience of being on a boat away from it all mate

can't blame him, it's my favorite way to dive

i beg to differ rss

last nov i was due to leave dahab at 11pm. at midnight a chap came to the dive centre and said won't be leaving until 3am due to new law as the spanish drowned the night before

i beg to differ rss

last nov i was due to leave dahab at 11pm. at midnight a chap came to the dive centre and said won't be leaving until 3am due to new law as the spanish drowned the night before
It might be that the chap was not able to express himself clearly.

When accidents happen, or weather is not favorable, sometimes the authorities at the jetty postpone sailing. Sometimes they even cancel it. However, it's not a law.

Yep its not a law, port authority, rule, CDWS rule or anything. If the boat is properly coded for night movements it can move at night.

And if you want a boat "away from it all" then sharm is certainly not the place. Possibly Marsa Alam is the nearest you'll get and even then its pushing it.

Sharm will be a lot more expensive for you in all ways.... food, drink, hotels and diving... you can not compare Dahab to Sharm, its for people looking for different things in a way...

Thanks fella's,

Yeah, I think from what I've reviewed. Sharm would be a bit more expensive, I was looking at Camel Dive. I like the more layed back idea of Dahab and looking at the hotels in Dahab, I keep going round and round with what hotel would offer the best accomodations and which dive shop will offer the best boat trips/camel trips/ and shore dives and service.

So I just have to look at it all and decide which will be my first choice to go with.

As we said, boat trips other than maybe 1 day at Gabr and if its calm maybe RAG its going to be all shore diving so that shouldnt factor in dive centre choice. The reason there arent boat trips is simply because there is no need for them as all sites can be dived easily and more quickly from shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom