help me narrow my search-please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob... There arent that huge differences between the shops.... dont exhaust your self trying to find the "best of the best", live & learn.. book a day, if your not happy, try another one... Dahab is a small place..

personally I dive with Big Blue, then again the sites are fairly easy so basicly all Egyptian guides/Instructors (and some foreigners, but I dont know that many, obviously the foregneirs responding to you at this site has a lot of experience..) have worked there for many years and know the sites.

Gabr el bint is OK, but not "a must do dive" for a first visit... you'll have 10 good dives anyway... if business is slow (and many times it is ha ha) you might not get there by boat if you are only staying for a week. You might ask around if any of the dive centres have a planned and confirmed trip while your there though...

I would rather try to get to Abu Talha, Abu Helal ( if the tide allows it) because most often you have these sites for yourself and it always offers new things, caves, drop offs and untouched corals.

And a camel trip to Abu Galum. That might be easier to arrange since they dont need to fill up a boat..

enjoy your stay! You will return anyway, so you dont have to do all the sites at this trip :wink:

Id back doing Talha/Helal (Talha is my favourite local site in town). Need high tide and low winds though due to entry and exit across reef plate.

I would say avoid camels though - discomfort for an extended period to see dive sites no better than the ones you can drive to normally!

Talha is my favorite too!

You dont have to ride the camel... I had back problems last time and just walked next to it. Made it back to the blue hole in an hour... but; I agree, one dont have to go to the most secluded southern and northern sites for a first visit, plenty of good dives close to town...

Accomodation wise, Alaska Hotel, refurbished, great mattresses, decent prices (around 10 quid a night i think).
Diving, walk around the promenade and take your pick, not going to endorse any particular one, although my favourites are: Sea Dancer, Mirage Divers, and Sinai Divers Backpackers.

I work for one of the companies watch the bubbles has mentioned above, although at their sharm branch - I don't like to advertise on here (not hard to figure out which one!) but we are one of the few companies that offer boat trips in Dahab, we have two locations there (including one for backpackers - ahem, giveaway! :D). We can arrange transfers to Sharm for diving, and Thistlegorm can be done by taking an early morning taxi (4 am ish), sailing from Sharm then returning to the Jetty 5pm (ish), back to Dahab by 8pm (ish). It's never going to be a short day trip from Dahab.

I love Dahab as a place though - I prefer to work in Sharm but when we run the trips to Dahab I just love the friendly chilled out atmosphere.

I personally stay clear of camels. I think nature put a massive great hump in the middle of their backs as a way of saying: If you sit on me, you will regret it. They aslo will fart in your face and poop in your dive box....

PM me for more details if you like (about diving, not camels). Yeah that was too much advertising - sorry - been in the pub for a couple of hours! :D

Cheers

C.

Yeah that was too much advertising - sorry - been in the pub for a couple of hours! :D

Cheers

C.

Hard day at work then :)

:D

Was exhausting my good man - especially trying to convince the bar tender that as the only person in the pub I would like, yes, only one beer, and also did not need a taxi ride, haircut, trip to Luxor or camel safari and also can you please down the Pache-esque music and not take away my beer before I have finished it.

Ah Egpyt - I love it here, but sometimes I can smash walnuts with a glance! :D

Gotta meet up for an adult beverage next time I'm in Dahab dude,

Cheers

C.

He didnt try to sell you a quad bike or horse ride too? They're soft in sharm!

Ive been guiding Ras Mo and other places there a lot lately so been there on and off. If youre in dahab send me a message especially now as its supposed to be quiet time!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom