help me pick a dc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like me Suunto Vyper 2 a lot. Multi-gas, Nitrox to 99%, Had it to 187' without problem. Simple and intuitive. They just replaced it with the Vyper Air. It serves me well.

Many dive computers on the market will meet the criteria you listed. Since you have been looking for a year, maybe you could tell us what you don't like about models you have seen. That might help us give better advice.

Many dive computers on the market will meet the criteria you listed. Since you have been looking for a year, maybe you could tell us what you don't like about models you have seen. That might help us give better advice.
thanks for asking. yep, as what i have mentioned before, i almost bought a d4. then i had this dive wherein the group who dove before me was telling that their d4 (3 divers had them) shut off at 90ft and just went back to power when they boarded the boat. i basically don't want something that malfunctions in the middle of a dive especially if it's a dangerous one such as wrecks.

thanks for asking. yep, as what i have mentioned before, i almost bought a d4. then i had this dive wherein the group who dove before me was telling that their d4 (3 divers had them) shut off at 90ft and just went back to power when they boarded the boat. i basically don't want something that malfunctions in the middle of a dive especially if it's a dangerous one such as wrecks.

Something's not right with Moe, Larry, and Curly's D4's...

:confused:

I've done hundreds of wreck dives with my Suunto (Vytec DS) down to 180ft with no problems whatsoever.

Something's not right with Moe, Larry, and Curly's D4's...

:confused:

I've done hundreds of wreck dives with my Suunto (Vytec DS) down to 180ft with no problems whatsoever.
hahaha what a coincidence... we call the other guy curly.. hahaha so if that's the case, is it just by happenstance when their d4's shut off?

OK so you might consider this approach. For your current diving get a wrist mount Nitrox computer that has a guage mode. The Nitrox you need now, the guage mode allows this to become your redundant bottom timer when you move to tech diving, and the wrist mount is preferred over console for tech diving.
You will find that many technical divers use software like Vplanner to create custom tables for their dives. So you may not ever need a computer with more features. If you do decide to get a computer that will handle deco dives with one or more gas switches you will still need a redundant bottom timer and as long as your first computer has a guage mode it will serve.
Other features will be personal preference. I like the integrated air but don't break the budget to get it. I also need a computer that is big enough to read but others want one small enough to use as a watch topside. I think you should give priority to what is available locally so you can have some support in case anything does go wrong. If you read this board enough you will find that someone has had troubles with just about everything, the real key is the support you get when a problem occurs.
FWIW my first computer is a Suunto Vytec. I used it for a while then came across a good deal on the transmitter so I added the integrated air capability. Then I got a Vyper Air to have redundant computers, and they both read from the same transmitter. And both have guage mode. So far I have only used Vplanner for my deco dives, but both Vyper Air and Vytec have gas switching capability.
Hope this helps.

OK so you might consider this approach. For your current diving get a wrist mount Nitrox computer that has a guage mode. The Nitrox you need now, the guage mode allows this to become your redundant bottom timer when you move to tech diving, and the wrist mount is preferred over console for tech diving.
You will find that many technical divers use software like Vplanner to create custom tables for their dives. So you may not ever need a computer with more features. If you do decide to get a computer that will handle deco dives with one or more gas switches you will still need a redundant bottom timer and as long as your first computer has a guage mode it will serve.
Other features will be personal preference. I like the integrated air but don't break the budget to get it. I also need a computer that is big enough to read but others want one small enough to use as a watch topside. I think you should give priority to what is available locally so you can have some support in case anything does go wrong. If you read this board enough you will find that someone has had troubles with just about everything, the real key is the support you get when a problem occurs.
FWIW my first computer is a Suunto Vytec. I used it for a while then came across a good deal on the transmitter so I added the integrated air capability. Then I got a Vyper Air to have redundant computers, and they both read from the same transmitter. And both have guage mode. So far I have only used Vplanner for my deco dives, but both Vyper Air and Vytec have gas switching capability.
Hope this helps.
thanks much!!! i'll pm you when i'll dive shops for one :) thanks a lot

Back
Top Bottom