help needed camera choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As regards lenses, all she (he?) needs is a 60mm D and a Tokina 10-17mm. It shouldn't be hard to find a used 60mm D.

These lenses would not be optimal considering that the OP does not want to take the dSLR underwater.

These lenses would not be optimal considering that the OP does not want to take the dSLR underwater.

True, but the entire thread has been about finding ways for her to get a set-up that she can afford to buy and that she could take underwater, as I understand it. If she just wants a camera for land use, she'd be better off asking for advice from people on a photo site, rather than on an underwater photography site IMHO.

Rereading the Orginal post the question is regarding choice of a DSLR for on land use only. In that case the D5100 is feature packed but I dont think it has a focus motor which will limited your choice of lenses. You then have to ask yourself which lenses you want and if they need a focus motor your going to have to go to bodies which have that. If you dont need a body with a focus motor the Nikon D5100 looks like the best bang for buck in the nikon range. Its 1080p video has 30fps compared to 24fps in the D7000......which is better.

Regards Mark

John Gulliver, sure, she don't need a big pelicase, averybody has hes way to store and transport his expensive gear and i trust a Pelicase.
At least in Europe the luggage allowance is only one piece for carry on, so i can store my DSLR, chargers, disks and the Laptop in a Photo backpack, but there is absolutly no space for housing and so on.
As there was a tread (here or in wetpixel) some months ago with pix of a broken Pelicase while travelling as checked luggage and that convinced me even more to like my foam padded and plucked to shape pelicase to have my "inexpensive" Ikelite rig safe and in order.

As OP is a experienced photographer i would not suggest a D200 for land use and go for a newer model like the D5000 or better the D7000 as i consider them far superior.

I personally would not buy a camera without a internal focus motor as it is limitating the choice of lenses what personally would bother me.
Also the D7000 has a (theoretially ) better exposure and autofocus metering and a better monitor.

I also overseen that she don't want to take the DSLR under water so i would suggest to buy only the body and get the one i use:
the Tokina 12-24mm, a Nikon 50mm f1.2 and the Nikon 70-300mm VR and she don't need a big Pelicase for land use as this land rig will fit easily in a photo backpack.
I would not recommend to buy the D5100 or D7000 as kit with the Nikon 18-105mm VR as i find this lens a waste for such a excellent camera.

Here some reviews and comparisations:
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/04/05/which-one-nikon-d7000-or-nikon-d5100-comparison-review/
http://www.digitalphotographywriter.com/2011/04/nikon-d5100-vs-d3100-d7000-d5000.html

Chris

Last edited:
thanks for all your comments which i read with interest. im a she by the way lol

i am more than happy with my canon s95 and recsea housing for underwater and have no intentions of going slr underwater. i have been asking for advice from photo sites and got very similar comment to you guys. i realise you all take underwater pic but im also guessing that you use the cameras topside so considered that you would have good opinions on cameras.

the D7000 is far out of my range [ive just spent over £1000 on my underwater gear so cant justfy spending loads more topside] with everyones opinion so far the D5000 and 5100 is not a good option. so now i have decided upon the D90 i am sure that will do every thing i want it to and more.

thanks for all youre help it is with advice from guys like you that help us newbies come to a decision and also to understand the equip :D

Back
Top Bottom