Help needed from Austin, TX divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
(I'm still wading through all of the posts put up over the weekend, so if this is a repeat, I apologize).

On late Sunday Afternoon of Memorial Day Weekend while the TSDT was relaxing, we were approached by the LCRA park ranger who is the one charged with development of the Mansfield Dam dive site. He wanted to find out who of us was based in the Austin area. He explained that he has gotten some funding to use to improve the dive site and wants the assistance of divers to deterimine what to do, and then put the plan into action.

Even though the rest of us are flung all around the state, we offered to help with the execution (much like what the Houston folks are doing with Twin Lakes) but we can't participate in the planning that he wants.

The ranger also told us that he did contact the local area dive shops and the response was very poor.

So here is our chance for the Texas Swamp Diving Team to step up and demonstrate our support for one of our favorite dive sites.

If you are in the Austin area and want to help (even you lurkers out there can help :) ) then contact Joe Dellahoosie (that's not how it's spelled (my apologies)) with the LCRA. We did tell him to get in touch with us here on the board, so if we have any details we'll post it.

And if any of the Austin bunch help out, keep us up to date of what the plans are so if you need our help with installations, we'll gladly come down

Delahoussaye

and I would have thought that my LDS would like a voice in "determining what to do" !!!!

Will have a few chats and attempt to make a call to this Joe fellow - then let you know.

......just giving advice on what to do there, there's the actual work of placing a bouyancy course, platform for practicing boat entries, cleanup, re-setting the bouys and pipe barriers. Joe also is looking for some more underwater attractions, and maybe clearing another acess to the water. I'm sure there's lots of input as to what will make the site a lot better, but the emphasis was the "help" to make it happen.

Larry and David could spearhead our group to coordinate these efforts, along with many others in the Austin area. Keep us abreast of work days and plans. As Texas Mike said, the support is there for the asking.

tony

He is trying to get more people in the Austin area interested in diving and working together to improve the diving in Austin. And to make it more fun. I'll be out at the lake this afternoon and I'll talk to him then.

I just finished REALLY confusing the folks at LCRA by chasing after Joe D. - - - Turns out he's with Travis County! [512-854-9437], and as a Ranger, he doesn't really keep office hours per se!

I've left a message and should be able to post more later on.

If yall get together a plan on what to do and just need volunteer divers print up a flyer get one to my dad, Larry. Or to me @ Oak Hill Scuba and we'll get together a team, we've got plenty of dive junkies that never have anything to do.

Joe & I finally got close to a phone at the same time.

He now recognizes that I [and/or my phone #] can make contact with the TX Swamp Divers, and it's not just another odd call from downtown!

Essentially though, he said - I'll get back to you! - - - He's got a list of projects, but hasn't yet developed a schedule of when he'd want help doing them.

So - - - Stay Tuned.

Hey Larry,
Let me know if there is anything I can do.. I have been a bad boy, and havent been keeping up the the posts.

I havent been for a dive in three weeks...;-0 Think Ill start a seperate thread on try to hunt down a buddy..

See yall later..
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom