Help Needed: Shady Dive Operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The advertising should state exactly what the $285 buys for you. In my advertising I tell folks that the boat dives are a separate fee as well as gear rental and books. It is always better to be up front about fees or you get to read about disgruntled customers on scubaboard. :(

I agree - just go diving and take the AOW class back home through your local dive shop (LDS) -- It always helps to establish a good relationship with your LDS.

My advanced level class is 425.00 and all inclusive. Students must supply their own gear. They can either rent or own it. I do supply the reels, spools, lift bags, and stage bottles. Six dives, 6-8 hours of classroom, and all materials for the classroom.
But then my aow is not like any other I am aware of. Except maybe Bob Bailey's. And it can be tailored to some extent to the diver. It can also be done in doubles or sidemount if the student wants and has the gear.

$600 sounds way to much for AOW. I'm only paying $800 for my DiveCon class and that includes everything.

I would check with your local dive shop back home to see how much they charge before shelling out that amount of money.

For what it's worth, I charge more than that (and I don't include dives). I'm very upfront about what is included though. Do the class or don't do the class. Whining online isn't going to get you anywhere - unless you intend to out the shop, in which case we'll look forward to hearing his side of the story.

I want you to think about this another way. Are you on vacation? A diving vacation? Then you will be paying for the boat dives anyway. That makes the class $2whatever. Don't want the class? You're still paying for the boat dives. That doesn't make the class $600, it makes the class $2whatever plus the cost of the boat dives, which you were going to buy anyway. Or did you think they would throw in $3whatever worth of boat diving for a $2whatever class?

We charge in the order of $180 for AOW. Personal dive gear is the the student's responsibility, either own or rent. Other gear that is needed, lift bags, etc., is provided by us.

We just drive to the lake and walk in, so there are no "boat" costs.

However, the students have to figure out their own transportation and lodging to the training site. That typically involves two nights in a hotel, meals, and a 220 km drive to a hotel near the Site from the city (that is each way, so x 2) then an other 60 km drive to the Site from the hotel (each way, so x 4). Add the cost of two day passes to the National Park. It all adds up, even with car pooling and sharing accomodations.

I can come close to your number pretty quickly.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I charge more than that (and I don't include dives). I'm very upfront about what is included though. Do the class or don't do the class. Whining online isn't going to get you anywhere - unless you intend to out the shop, in which case we'll look forward to hearing his side of the story.

Hmm. I'm curious as to how you think that what I'm asking is "whining". Since you've admitted that you're upfront about what is included, what DO you include for your price, and what do you charge? (A ballpark estimate is fine.)

I'm not fussed at paying $600, if that's a fair price for an AOW course. According to some responses it is, and others are saying it's way too much. I'm confused, as a (relatively) new diver as to what $285 is expected to cover.

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 08:58 AM ----------

We charge in the order of $180 for AOW. Personal dive gear is their own responsibility, either own or rent. We just drive to the lake and walk in, so there are no "boat" costs. However, the students have to figure out their own transportation and logging to the training site. That typically involves two nights in a hotel, meals, and a 220 km drive to a hotel near the Site from the city and then an other 60 km drive to the Site from the hotel. It all adds up, even with car pooling and sharing accomodations.

Hawkwood- thank you for your response.

Whining online isn't going to get you anywhere -

I wasn't aware that asking a valid question in the Basic Scuba forum constituted whining.

I think Damselfish got it. 2 boat dives are around $135. There's no shore diving opportunity off Provo that I'm aware of - at least deep enough - so you'll likely be doing boat dives. It's a lot different somewhere like Bonaire or even Hawaii where access to the reef is 5mins. and a $10 tank rental away. I assume that price covers the expenses plus some profit.

How long have you been on Provo? Bought anything yet? That shop is paying those price$$ every day...It's the 2nd most expensive place I've dove in a very long time.

Cool thing about your Deep Dive is it really can be. Try dropping down the wall - it bottoms out somewhere around 6000' in places. :D

Last edited:
I'm not sure its comparing apple to apples, but I popped open the web site for Dive Provo and they charge: "Course fee includes instruction, equipment and dives. $480.00" They also recommend the padi elearning course which appears to be $134. So if you are REQUIRED to complete the padi elearning course first, which would be my assumption you are up in the same price neighborhood. I dove with these guys several years back and liked the shop a lot.

Back
Top Bottom