Help needed to descend!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Maybe we should organize a poll here...?? :D

I keep thinking if it takes around 3# to sink even a small 3 mil suit in SW, and 3# to sink a nearly empty tank, what's wrong with him using 6#? Or at least 5#?

You know what we don't know? We don't know at what depth he's doing his safety stop, that can affect a lot of things. All we know is he says towards the end of the dive, that doesn't mean he's doing a stop. I know many people don't even do a safety stop and consider that normal so maybe he's just slowly ascending the entire time and so we can't assume he's weighted correctly. We just don't have the info to tell us that.

I am with you though in that the 4lbs he's got is just offsetting the weight of the tank, he's got to be pretty negative by himself to have that be right. I've seen it, but over here in the US it's not common if you know what I mean.

Gangrel,
Do you have a link to that article you mentioned?

cummings66:
You know what we don't know? We don't know at what depth he's doing his safety stop, that can affect a lot of things. All we know is he says towards the end of the dive, that doesn't mean he's doing a stop. I know many people don't even do a safety stop and consider that normal so maybe he's just slowly ascending the entire time and so we can't assume he's weighted correctly. We just don't have the info to tell us that.

I am with you though in that the 4lbs he's got is just offsetting the weight of the tank, he's got to be pretty negative by himself to have that be right. I've seen it, but over here in the US it's not common if you know what I mean.

Hey cummings66, he's actually a she. :05:
I don't do deep dives so I just do the usual safety stops before I surface. and I usually have no problems with my safety stops.
But you know what? I don't think I ever did a proper buoyance check before. My instructor somehow left that out of the training. He just gave me the weights I needed and sent me packing. So it's been trial and error since - I started with 8 lbs and I've been dropping weights since.

Also, a little FYI. In Asia, especially where it's warm all year round, a lot of experienced divers I know dive without wearing any weights at all. All they do is think "ROCK" and down they go, and during the dives and safety stops, they just use their lungs to control their ascent/descent.

hchen:
I don't do deep dives so I just do the usual safety stops before I surface. and I usually have no problems with my safety stops.
But you know what? I don't think I ever did a proper buoyance check before. My instructor somehow left that out of the training. He just gave me the weights I needed and sent me packing. So it's been trial and error since - I started with 8 lbs and I've been dropping weights since.

Also, a little FYI. In Asia, especially where it's warm all year round, a lot of experienced divers I know dive without wearing any weights at all. All they do is think "ROCK" and down they go, and during the dives and safety stops, they just use their lungs to control their ascent/descent.

Thanks for this post. It reinforces my earlier suggestions. No doubt in my mind that once you do a bouyancy check to verify correct weight, get all the air out of the BC and get enough confidence to totally empty your lungs you will be just fine.

With experience you too will learn to control ascent/descents by breathing. We all do, I think. BUT, CAUTION, WARNING, DANGER: Be very, very careful not to hold your breath when doing an ascent. Instead, start the ascent by taking a breath and then when upward motion has started resume breathing normally. Otherwise you risk an embolism. That would be distinctly unpleasant.

Oh yes, the mental component is important. Many times, when diving, when riding a bike, etc I don't take an action I just "think" it, and it happens. Neat, eh?

DandyDon:
"bete noire" :confused:

*smile* Means something you don't like to do...or Pain in the B*tt in Texas.

But that inhale then exhale idea sounds like a good one. I'm going to give that a try, too.

Safe Diving

Jeff

hchen:

If you feel you are sinking too fast with the additional 2 pounds, then I would think that 4 pounds is about right for you; especially as you say that you have no problems controlling your ascent and maintaining level at deco stop.

Try not to get too anxious about being at the bottom at the same speed as the others. Just make sure that you and your buddy understand that you require a little more time to descent. When you are not rushed, just relax and take your time to empty your BD and fully exhale. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon.

Do you dive with a regular buddy and what is your buddy's level of experience? Another way ( if your buddy is up to it) to carry an extra 2 pound in your pocket just to descent and hand it over to your buddy when you have made your descent. This is of course temporary assistance until you sort out your descent technique. I do this quite often when I am diving with newbies.

hchen:

I've also noticed that some divers don't wear any weights... Hmmm.. so how should the breathing method be if one isn't carrying any weights for their safety stop @ 15ft? Short deep breathe then exhale slow long breathe? :06:

With a steel tank I can be weightless as well. It doesn't affect your basic control if carrying no lead is your proper weighting. You do the stop as normal.

There are a lot of tricks to descending, I for one descend slowly on the first dive and then after that it's easy and I go faster the next time. I don't really have any tricks, I just exhale and start down, when I need to breathe again I'm down far enough it doesn't matter.

PS, hchen I apologize for getting the gender incorrect.

Here's my trick that always works for people such as myself, small built divers, especially female. We are always a bit too boyant at surface and become negative quickly at depth because of your body surface area.

1. My favourite: Dump all air, do tuck dive and exhale, using a few kicks if you must, swimming head first down.
2. For beginner divers that like staying upright for descent: Dump air, and while exhaling sweep both arms out and up a few times, while keeping legs still. Like upward angel wing movements.
3. In cold water with a drysuit lean towards one side so that your dumps are highest, and sweep arms up.

You don't want to be adding weight if you are already comfortable at the safety stop after a dive, especially if you are diving with a small bc with small volume and lift.

In warm water I dive in a full 5mm suit with 1kg weight only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom