Help Needed W/ Dewey Bergman Vintage Equipment- Garage Sale Find Queensland Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a little more trivia. These are all little back of the mag adds from Skin Diver. The Anchor Shack ad from 1968 is for the original Hydro Strobe with the wing nuts. The Aquaflash ad from 1966 is the Calypso/Nikonos bulb flash mentioned above. The Bamboo Reef ad from 1964 for custom Plexiglas housings made by Al Gidding when he and Leroy French were running the dive shops.

Al Giddings was building up a pretty impressive little machine shop in the back of the San Francisco store. He had a nice Bridgeport mill and a small shop lathe plus tools for Plexiglas fabrication. He and Helmut were the only sources for commercially available custom Plexiglas housings in the Bay Area I was aware of in those days. About 1/3 to 1/2 the housings I saw were Plexiglas home-brews.

Moving to cast and fabricated aluminum was a really big leap in the early-1960s. There weren’t many “production” Aluminum housings before then. Offhand I recall Gerry Greenberg’s housing for Leicas, the Sampson housings for the Bell & Howell, the Rolleimarin for the Rolleiflex, a Bolex housing for the H-16, and a few still housings from Mako.

Attachments

• Bamboo Reef 1964 ad005.jpg
    Bamboo Reef 1964 ad005.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Hydro Strobe 1968 ad.jpg
    Hydro Strobe 1968 ad.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Nikonos Bulb Flash - Dec 1966 ad.jpg
    Nikonos Bulb Flash - Dec 1966 ad.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/