help,New equipment delema?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wendledo1

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am totally new to diving and dont have my cert yet.
1 major question I have is the dive shop I am doing biz with wants a heck of a lot of money for an Oceanic reg set, bc and gauges.
Come to find out I can buy all of that online for about 250.00 less and get more.
Is it true what they are telling me that I shouldent buy online? Should I stay with them so if I do have a problem I can get them to take care of it.
Has anyone had and good experence in buying online? I dont need the stuff with all the bells and whistles, just stuff to get me going.....
should I consider just spending the extra $$ and buy from the shop?
thanks for your time and help!

I would buy your Regs and BC from you LDS yes they are more.... but there local. Regs and BC need service. You can take them there and have them serviced may only not see them for a week. Plus with warrenty issue and the like it is better to buy stuff like that from you local dive shop. Now on the other hand I bought just about everything else online. Your going to see a lot of post on here flaming me and everyone else on how were not supporting our local dive shop well if my dive shop wasnt three times as much I might. So this is my opinion and you need to make your own.

check the leisure pro thread, you'll find some real different opinions, also might want to get certified first to make sure its for you and try some different gear, I know my shop did not charge for rentals for the open water class, and the places i checked at home didn't either. All you may need is a mask, snorkel and fins. I am happy with my on line purchases, saved hundreds I mean hundreds of hard earned dollars and i think any shop that is authorised to work on a particular brand will do so, they are going to charge you for sevice anyway.

Good luck, enjoy the expierence, Rich

I have saved hundreds with LeisurePro/NY and DiversDirect out of florida online..Great Prices, Great Gear...The $$$ You save will surely outweigh any warranty issues..It will definately give You some of the best gear..and money left over for a car payment...

If you are not even certified yet....dont buy a dang thing. At most ...just fins and mask and with more experience...you will probably change them later too.

You dont have enough experience to know what is good. and what isnt..>FOR YOU>

I agree with buying from an lds when it comes to life support gear...but get your cert....get some dives under your belt....try out diff gear...make a wise choice.

the reason the lds is pushing that brand is that is what he carries. It is a very regulated business and he cant carry other items. So do your research,. If you buy right now...I would bet you will change later...if not sooner.
rich

Thanks for the replys guys!

I am totally in agreeance with not buying until I get cert.
I have however bought the mask, snorkel, fins and boots.

between the BC, and reg and gauge set this shop wants 750.00
I can (could) get the equivelant online, just a different name for much much less with a warranty and return policy.
but seeings how you have said it is my "life support gear"...... that also makes sence to me and seems like a really good idea.... I think I will just wait, slow up a little and continue to rent from them for a month or 2 till I do get some exp under my belt.

Many thanks
:wink:
jr

Though I have never purchased anything from them, www.scubatoys.com will offer you a full factory warranty because they are a licensed dealer for all of their products. They also have very good prices. It might be worth checking out:)

Do ya need a good BC? I might know someone who has one that's available for a decent price, and I can tell you it's worked for his last 70 or so dives in it and has been well maintained.

FWIW, I'm into buying my gear somewhere other than the LDS, but there's a whole other issue behind that besides money. The $$ just happens to be a perk.

Welcome to the Crew.

wendledo1:
Hello everyone! I am totally new to diving and dont have my cert yet.
1 major question I have is the dive shop I am doing biz with wants a heck of a lot of money for an Oceanic reg set, bc and gauges.

Take your time, do your homework! Keep in mind that a reg set and BC are 2 of the more expensive items you'll purchase and critical to your comfort and safety. I bought an Apeks reg and built my own BP/W online. With the money I saved I was able to spend about the same for a top of the line setup as I would have on an overpriced LDS package with not as good gear. I'm not saying you need to spend big $ to get good gear, this is just what I did. I also service my own gear so I'm not worried about having to be tied to the LDS for service.
For some folks that don't want to touch or service there own gear then the LDS route makes sense as long as they're a reputable shop. Also look at where you will be diving now, and where you may want to dive in the near future. Cold water? Then get an environmentally sealed first stage. Warm only?, then you can save some bucks. Look at regulators closely. Some breathe hard at deeper depths. My Apeks delivers wonderfully at over 100 feet. BC's, same idea. Do you want back inflate or the "air all around you" ? You probably want an integrated weight system so that you can adjust your trim in the water. Take your time, do your homework while learning.

We bought our gear (most of it) prior to cert. & bought our reg.s when we were certifying. Do your homework take your Dm's advice and do what you feel comfortable doing. Personally I do not care to use any other equipment but my own! I also do not lend it! Your equipment is your life support system while enjoying this sport. Get your own equipment after educating yourself on it and trying at local sales and LDS.
Nobody cares more about your survival than you. Only you will take the appropriate responsibility to care and maintain your equipment as you like it! Only you can choose to buy that $600 reg. or that $100 regulator. Most who I know buy there own gear during cert. You always upgrade, what you get today will not be your gear when you go into other dive areas. As your education in the dive industry grows your equipment needs change &/or grow.
LDS's have got to mark up their gear they have commissions and other such overheads to pay! Leisure Pro and some companies of it's likes in my opinion are great! Many have sour opinions on them remember a manufacture warranty is that!! I have had to deal with warranty with LP bought gear and experienced little to no difficulty or cost!!!!
Welcome & Good Luck to you in your diving future! Plan your dive and dive your plan. Always dive safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom