help, stingray or batray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Ernst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
i shot this in the channel islands and my dive buddy and i thought it to be a batray,(not a great shot) but i was recently told it is a stingray, can someone confirm the true identity for me please, as i say it isnt a good photo but it is the only one i got and the camera was a $50 supreema super sport , lol thanks for any help this picture did not post very big but it is in my photo gallery if you need a larger shot as i cant seem to inlarge it on the thread

jim ernst:
i shot this in the channel islands and my dive buddy and i thought it to be a batray,(not a great shot) but i was recently told it is a stingray, can someone confirm the true identity for me please, as i say it isnt a good photo but it is the only one i got and the camera was a $50 supreema super sport , lol thanks for any help this picture did not post very big but it is in my photo gallery if you need a larger shot as i cant seem to inlarge it on the thread

Myliobatis californicus is commonly known by the name "bat ray", but is also known as a "bat sting ray". Therefore it really is a matter of semantics about who is right in this case. However judging from the picture with the protruding head, it is more likely the species commonly known as the bat ray or bat sting ray rather than a species from the family Dasyatidae / Genus Dasyatis which incorporates what we commonly refer to as stingrays.

msandrew44:
Myliobatis californicus is commonly known by the name "bat ray", but is also known as a "bat sting ray". Therefore it really is a matter of semantics about who is right in this case. However judging from the picture with the protruding head, it is more likely the species commonly known as the bat ray or bat sting ray rather than a species from the family Dasyatidae / Genus Dasyatis which incorporates what we commonly refer to as stingrays.
very cool thank you both so much, dive buddy and i both thought it to be a bat ray, question came up when a person looked at the pic and said it was a sting ray, but ithought not, thanks to you both for clearing this up!! :wink:

jim ernst:
thank you , are there sting ray in the northern channel islands?

There are species of rays with stinging spines found on the CA coast such as the round or california stingray (Urolophus halleri). I believe there are 6 or 7 speices of rays found in California waters which have a stinger on the tail (including the bat ray).

Identification confirmed.

Yes, there are certain species of "stingrays" in the Channel Islands area such as the round stingray.

Dr. Bill

Hey Jim,
You should have gone on Andy's 4th of July Channel Islands trip. There were 40-50 Bat Rays (or were they Sting Rays?:)) spotted at one dive site at San Clemente Island!:)

Back
Top Bottom