Help to identify and advise on an older Poseidon regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
F

Fitzgig

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have scanned the board but have not found the definitive answer. I am a noob- so it could be inexperience. Apologies in advance.

My sister gifted me her old Poseidon regulator and the only thing I know is that they are nearly impossible to get serviced in the US - but that they are well manufactured. Can someone help me identify and advise me on whether it is worth the difficulty /expense to have it repaired? @rsingler seems to be THE guy to ask, but any advice is valued. Sounds stupid, but I would like to use them in the future in my sister’s memory. I think the manufacture date is 1996, back when she was a healthy vibrant dive master……

Attachments

• IMG_7066.jpeg
    IMG_7066.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7068.jpeg
    IMG_7068.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7069.jpeg
    IMG_7069.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7058.jpeg
    IMG_7058.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 86
So water under pressure would not penetrate the diaphragm seal but vodka or glycerin would? Was there a bulletin from Poseidon about this?
Aside from that illustrative photo above, from an old German manual, with that obnoxious "X" through the 3950/60s, there was little else mentioned by Poseidon.

It may just have to do with the nature of the newer, translucent diaphragm material, which was definitely not as tough as the older version, which I continuously flipped and flopped with every rebuild, for a few years, especially when out of country; a starving student, and light on cash.

Typically, we winterized the regulators in -- go figure -- the winter and whatever crap we were using, whether vodka or alcohol / glycerine concoctions, would sit on those diaphragms, for half of a year, at least.

I do once recall servicing some 3950s which had been flooded with an amber, syrup-like goop for some odd reason, and which had been a colossal pain in the arse to remove.

Perhaps, that newer version was just more sensitive to some polar solvents like isopropanol, which had routinely been used as an antifreeze?

Without knowing, I took that red X to mean only that the new cap (the Frostschutzkappe Metall) would not fit on the 3960, and not that the vodka cap was verboten. After all, there is still the ridge on the 3960 body to accept the rubber cap.
Now I need to go check my manuals...

Without knowing, I took that red X to mean only that the new cap (the Frostschutzkappe Metall) would not fit on the 3960, and not that the vodka cap was verboten. After all, there is still the ridge on the 3960 body to accept the rubber cap.
Now I need to go check my manuals...
I am quite sure that the metal cap threads were attachable, at least, to all first stages, from the 300s, on, through the 3950 / 60s. It's honestly been a while, but I had thought that I had attempted that some years back . . .

Mystery solved!
I wish I liked the new 3960 diaphragm as much as the old 2960 one.
Here's that reg that leaked after reassembly until I replaced the valve center, lower (3722).
20230501_200320.jpg

20230428_093321.jpg
20230428_101815.jpg

It got put away with a milliliter of water in the spring chamber. That brown stuff was only on one side. The corrosion goes all the way down to the oring land, and could not be scraped/ polished out. Notice that everything is pristine on the inside of that land.

Mystery solved!
I wish I liked the new 3960 diaphragm as much as the old 2960 one.
Here's that reg that leaked after reassembly until I replaced the valve center, lower (3722).
View attachment 818314
View attachment 818313View attachment 818312
It got put away with a milliliter of water in the spring chamber. That brown stuff was only on one side. The corrosion goes all the way down to the oring land, and could not be scraped/ polished out. Notice that everything is pristine on the inside of that
That’s ugly.

It turns out that all of those verboten antifreeze caps -- metal and otherwise, fit perfectly on the 3950 / 60s -- I hadn't lost my mind . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpeg
    IMG_3508.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3507.jpeg
    IMG_3507.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3506.jpeg
    IMG_3506.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 46
Well, I do my triennial Poseidon recert next month. I'll ask the guru what the story is on the Frostschutzkappe Metall and the 3960. That would make me like this reg a whole lot more.

Back
Top Bottom