help with Cabo dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadivingtom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be going to Cabo in November for 10 days. 8 diving days. I have never been there. I normally go to Cozumel. After 26 trips to Cozumel I need something new. Tired of looking at coral.

Should I break up the trip by staying 2, or 3 days at different locations? I don't know anyone that has dove there, so help would be greatly appreciated:) If a friend does not go with me I will be diving alone.

Thanks

I will be going to Cabo the first part of Nov. too! And like you, I have never been there either so, I'll be watching this post and hope to get info about diving in Cabo myself!

scubadivingtom...I have been reading through some of the posts on diving in Cabo - not much info but I did read one post that the person gave Manta Scuba a thumbs up and Dive Cabo a thumbs down!

image.jpeg
I've been there 3x. Don't miss Cabo Pulmo in East Cape. I would skip Cabo San Lucas. Contact Home - CPDEV

You'll see tons of jackfish there.

Ha! I just had another friend mention diving with a dive op out of Cabo Pulmo- One problem is that we already have our hotel -which is my friends timeshare at a place called Pueblo Bonito Rose and from the looks of it it is about 2 hours away!
I may just have to make the trek at least a few days ~

I've dove with Manta for 5 years now. They are top notch (IMO). The "local" dives are just ok, although I did myself in the middle of a 1000 mobula rays a few weeks ago at one of the local spots. Manta runs trips to Cabo Pulmo which I hear are awesome (hope to get there next year), and I like the Corridor dive as well. Not sure if Manta runs trips to La Paz, but I would ask them. There is some excellent diving up there, and it isn't too far from Cabo. I'm by no means a Cabo expert but I do know my way around down there, if you have any questions PM me.

Hey Tom,

There is a lot of variety of diving within the four main areas, that is Cabo San Lucas (local cabo dives), San Jose Del Cabo (the corridor and Gordo Banks), Cabo Pulmo and La Paz. If you can I would try and dive them all as they are unique and it is easy to get around if you rent a car.
Reefs here in Baja California Sur are much different than the reefs in the Caribbean. Instead of being dominated by reef building corals which actually create the physical structure of the reef the corals simply grow where they can adhere to the surfaces of the rocks. There are some exceptions where stony corals do dominate some of the dive sites but all in all you are looking at dive sites with larger schools of fish and bigger animals such as sea lions, a lot of aquatic bird life, whales, whale sharks and by far the most rays I have seen anywhere.
Definitely a refreshing change if you have dove a lot in the Caribbean.

Some highlights not to miss

Gordo Banks - big pelagic life on some deeper seamounts
Whale sharks in la Paz - 100% guaranteed sightings, I have swam with 12 different individuals in one morning.
El Bajo Seamounts in La Paz have semi-regular sightings of scalloped hammerheads in the fall months
Cabo Pulmo -a unique micro coral reef system and conservation based diving community where no fishing is allowed.
whale watching in Cabo San lucas - not to miss and quite cheap for a half day tour.

I wouldn't worry about booking too far ahead, I find it's best to speak with the people who will actually take you out to get a feel for the dive staff as diving staff does rotate out quite regularly in the diving community.
One piece of advice, bring your own equipment, not all dive shops in Mexico keep their rental equipment in good working order.

I used Dive Cabo when I was out there. They were great. The DM showed all neat areas and never rushed anyone. I also heard Manta was good as well.

Back
Top Bottom