Help with drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maneuverability
If you've never been in a drysuit and want to use it for hunting I'd recommend that you do several dives on rentals or demo drysuits. Maneuverability characteristics are quite different. I haven't done catfish hunting, but for the tropical saltwater hunting I used to do, maneuverability was important. e.g. Depending on the drysuit you may find it is not as easy to go inverted (or more accurately, recover from an inverted position). Also, you have a dump valve to be mindful because certain positions will trigger the dump valve, if you dive it opened, and if you don't, you have to get into position and manually dump it for buoyancy control. Another thing to consider is that certain seals (more neoprene than latex) will leak if you twist your neck or wrists too much.

Durability and Abrasion Resistance
In spite of the popularity of shell suits in recreational circles, neoprene drysuits remain very popular among commercial and fish farm divers around this vicinity -- Canadian west coast. In order to further increase durability they are available with external laminate options like "Duratex", "Diamond Tuff", "Gator Hide", or even kevlar. Bare, Seatux, Oceaner, and Brooks are some of the local drysuit manufacturers that offer this type of neoprene models. IMHO these neoprene suits are generally superior to shell suits in terms of durability, particularly if they have one of these special outer laminates. One more thing to consider in terms of durability is neoprene seals vs latex seals. Latex can be more comfortable but neoprene seals are harder to rip.

Thermal Properties and Compression
There is no question that neoprene will compress with depth. It is only logical to assume that you will feel colder when neoprene is compressed thinner. From what I've personally experienced, that is not necessarily the case. For instance -- two dives I did in the same exact location:

Dive 1 = Jul 11, 09. 11:44am. Max depth 115'. Run time 57 mins. Water temp 50F. Air temp 72F. Whites Fusion, t-shirt shorts, Whites MK2 full length undergarment, Whites thermal socks.

Dive 2 = Sept 26, 09. 7:02pm. Max depth 145'. Run time 80 mins. Water temp 50F. Air temp 63F. Brooks Sealsuit 7mm neoprene, thin long sleeve polyester fleece shirt, thin cotton/polyester fleece sweat pants, acrylic/spandex thermal socks.

On both dives I was using the same Pinnacle 4mm merino lined wet gloves. I felt warmer on the deeper, longer, night dive. I realize that my own subjective conclusions based on only two dives are hardly incontrovertible facts universally applicable. But that is just my point -- mileage will vary from individual to individual, as well as dive to dive. Try them out for yourself, personally experience and find out what is best for you.

Hi all, I need a little help with what kinda drysuit to get I been diving 10 years with well over 500 loged dives and numerious not loged but I am going to expand my diving time with a drysuit. I am diving lakes in OKLA&ARK in winter water temps probably no lower than 45 to 50 degrees. What kinda suit do I need made of what type material and so. I have never been in a drtsuit and know nothing about them so all help is good help. I am a spearfisherman and plan to use this suit in the pursuit of flathead catfish also if that makes a difference. I will be in brush and rocks while hunting.
Thanks in advance

I love my Dive rite 905, tough as nails, the seems are ultrasonically welded not sewn and the boots fit me perfect. I use the same fins I use with my wetsuit boots, but 90% of my dives are in my dryuit.

Do you use Argon to fill your suit? I'm told that it helps keep you warmer than using air.

No, I don't. I dive all year round in Scandinavia so I see cold to very cold water temperatures for most of my diving. Still I have not found any reason to go with argon. I use the gas I breathe. In fact, the only people I know that dive with argon bottles are rebreather divers, but even they usually use air. For extremely long dives in very cold water I can see the point, but I don't do that kind of diving.

No offense, but was it truly a "crushed neoprene" (DUI trademarked product) or someone else's knockoff ... a compressed neoprene?

Pearce's crushed neoprene did not compress at depth and still held it's thermal properties.

No offense taken. No, it was not a DUI brand suit. It was a Waterproof Draco, using "3,5mm Special Hi-Dense neoprene with SD Toughtex lining". I am highly sceptical the DUI Crushed Neoprene™ would do much better since the Waterproof material is extremely dense.

To clarify: The compressed neoprene (I hope that expression isn't trademarked too) compresses and offers worse thermal properties at depth than at the surface, but it is still a lot warmer than the cordura suit which offers close to zero in thermal protection. This is fine with me since it makes calculating the amount and thickness of undergarments I need a lot easier when I dive the cordura suit.

Irregardless of material - fit is the key!

I demoed several brands and types of suits before I made my purchase. It's money well spent because I use my drysuit for nearly every openwater dive.

Back
Top Bottom