Help with first Indo-Pacific Trip (Raja Ampat ?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tip regarding Jakarta vs Singapour, it does look better if you book the local flights seperately and are willing to spend some time at the airport. On the other end, there is some sort of a Transit hotel within the Singapour airport that could be very welcomed for the wait time and to recover a bit. Are you aware of such a thing in Jakarta ?

That's exactly my worst fear with diving Lembeh for 2 weeks. I've read tons of comments regarding this and the general consensus seemed to be that Bunaken was not 'that' special (what do I know... having only been in Roatan makes it hard to judge other locations!). I have yet to find a negative comment about a diving experience in Lembeh even though the pictures of the location itself are much less paradise like. I've seen a lot of people who commented on the fact that 'Next time, they'll spend more time in Lembeh and less in Bunaken'. Moreover, the resort (NAD) did mention that it was not all muck diving, that there were reefs on the eastern side of the island and that they offered day trips to Bangka for a little extra.

Now, obviously, those are comments and I am far from convinced sticking to Lembeh for 2 weeks would be the best idea. Bangka is often brought up as a very nice and more interesting alternative to Bunaken. Would spending 3 day trips there be enough ? There seems to be a few small dive ops operating directly on the island too. I really would immensely appreciate feedback from those who experienced Lembeh and could confirm wether or not there are reefs around there and not strictly muck.

As for Wickeddivers, we did look them up and they had very interesting prices indeed. That being said, it is for 6 days trip, we are looking at a 2 weeks stay and repeating the same 6 days x2 doesn't sound like the best alternative. I guess we'd save the liveaboard for a longer trip in Raja Ampat.. one day...

I believe there is a transit hotel in the airport, but did not use it the time I went this route. Perhaps someone else will know.

we had great dives in bunaken and it is a great lil island. check out Cha Cha resort, we stayed there and it was awesome and the couple that owns it (Raf and Reiko) are the friendliest most awesome hosts we've had anywhere. i think you would enjoy it after a week of diving in muck, critters and garbage as a nice change at the opposite end of the spectrum. a walk around the village was also fun. the local chief(?) was celebrating something(re election?) and invited us to share in the food and festivities. dog was the main course, yum yum! :holysheep:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom