Help with Regulator Age and ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pixelator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Had a complete system given to me by a guy that had been using them. The Mares Reg works fine but the SP leaks a little.

The First Stage has no Model # so I have no idea about it. The Gauges work fine also.

SP%20FACE%20%281%29-M.jpg

MARES%20FACE%20%281%29-M.jpg

1ST%20STAGE%20%281%29-M.jpg

GAUGES-M.jpg

Thanks,
Joe

The top photo is a Scubapro 108 which was produced from the 60s to the 80s. Looking at the purge it seems to be a latter model. Not sure of the Mares, it may be an early MR12. I would estimate the rig is from the mid to late 80s.

The MR-12 first is a later model (second generation) mid 80s to mid 90s would be my guess. Basically the same as a USD Conshelf inside. All solid, easily servicable regs in any case.

To help with SP ID. The top reg is a 109, the bottom a 108. The 109 has an adjustment knob opposite the hose, the 108 has the hose stem exiting the second stage at an angle. Both first stages are Mk5's.

002.jpg

001-2.jpg

DaleC,

Do you still use those two regs? Are rebuild kits even available?

Thanks,
Joe

DaleC,

Thanks,
Joe

Not Dale but the MK-5/109 is likely the most popular reg of all time. There are a bunch of folks on this board who really like it and for good reason. It is solid, reliable and easy to service. And yes, rebuild kits are available for the MK-5, the 108 and 109, both OEM from Scubapro and aftermarket ones as well.

The Mares second stage is a IV, which was sold with an MR-12 first stage, probably the one pictured. I believe this dates to about 1990. Parts kits for both stages are readily available.

DaleC,

Thanks,
Joe

The metal second stages and the Mk-5 had a long production run. I believe they were sold into the early 90s. So are not really all that vintage. All the rebuild parts are available from Scubapro and from the aftermarket. Many DIYs purchase the orings from a supplier and make their own seats for the 108 and 109 with a punch.

Yes and yes. Many know more about the technical ins and outs of them but I have two early models with 2 LP ports and 1 HP port each and a later model with 4 LP and 1 HP.

One of my more favorite rigs:
047.jpg

And my daughter likes them too:
IMG_8401.jpg

Thanks for the photos. In regards to my own SB reg. I had thought that my 2nd stage was a 109, but it's a 108. I also thought that my 1st stage was a Mark-5, but the hose comes straight off and not at right angles. It has an additional HP port with a hex screw in it at present. Can anyone help me ID this and can I use the HP port for a pressure gauge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom