Help with Transpac II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke once bubbled...
After moving the weight pockets very far back (better trim and also you need them there because you have moved the metal plates back), I found that they tended to sneak forwards when I was wearing the TP in my room (trying it on and such). I got a couple of weight keepers and put them on the belt to prevent the weight pockets from moving forwards.

Good Luck,
Dave

Dave,
I'm not sure what you mean by "sneaking forward", but if this is happening to you, you don't have your pockets on correctly. The plate that attatches your shoulder straps to the waist belt should loop through the pockets. As well as the strap that comes from the top of that plate from waist to shoulder that QDs to shoulder strap. Chack the pic.

>>I'm not sure what you mean by "sneaking forward", but if this is happening to you, you don't have your pockets on correctly. The plate that attatches your shoulder straps to the waist belt should loop through the pockets. As well as the strap that comes from the top of that plate from waist to shoulder that QDs to shoulder strap. Chack the pic.<<

That is how I have it set up and the weight pockets don't want to stay back there. Its not a big problem. They will work forwards maybe an inch or so, but they seem not to come forward at all with the weight keeper on the belt.

Dave

The shoulder straps are attached to the back of the harness with velcro.

About fit - I'm kind of confused. The LDS I bought my transpac from said that it fit me perfectly. I'm a 5 ' 7" woman. The crucial back measurement that DiveRite gives as the dividing line between S and M/L is 17 inches. On me, the measurement is exactly 17 inches so I assumes the M/L would be OK. But I also have the problem of having to keep the shoulder straps adjusted to their minimum size by pulling the webbing down all the way.

The lower D rings on the shoulder straps hit me at the bottom of my ribcage. Looking at a photo of a guy in a TP on the Diverite website it seems that the rings are expected to sit higher up on the chest. Do any of you long term TP users know if this is true? This is a real problem for me because the chest strap hits me in a very bad place. I am thinking about dumping even MORE $$ (wish I had bought from LeisurePro) into my TP to swap the chest straps to a smaller size.

dlwalke once bubbled...

I don't understand the comment about replacing the shoulder straps, but I hope its true. Looking at my TP, it seems that the shoulder straps are sewn onto the harness and can't be replaced (even though I know you can order different combinations of shoulder strap sizes and harnesses).

Good Luck,
Dave

raviepoo once bubbled...
The shoulder straps are attached to the back of the harness with velcro.

About fit - I'm kind of confused. The LDS I bought my transpac from said that it fit me perfectly. I'm a 5 ' 7" woman. The crucial back measurement that DiveRite gives as the dividing line between S and M/L is 17 inches. On me, the measurement is exactly 17 inches so I assumes the M/L would be OK. But I also have the problem of having to keep the shoulder straps adjusted to their minimum size by pulling the webbing down all the way.

The lower D rings on the shoulder straps hit me at the bottom of my ribcage. Looking at a photo of a guy in a TP on the Diverite website it seems that the rings are expected to sit higher up on the chest. Do any of you long term TP users know if this is true? This is a real problem for me because the chest strap hits me in a very bad place. I am thinking about dumping even MORE $$ (wish I had bought from LeisurePro) into my TP to swap the chest straps to a smaller size.

That may be what you need to do. The D rings should rest @ about the clavicals. On me, the bottom ring hits me right @ the bottom of the pecs & the top rings @ the clavicals.

Check this pic. My rig has been refined since. The pull downs to adjust the shoulders are now tucked into the back of the weight pockets & held by the bungie that holds the other end of my lights.http://thumper.wox.org/dive_pictures/Spiegel%208.JPG

Thanks scubafishee and dlwalke,
I moved the wieght pockets right back to the edge of the bladder and it seems to fit alot better (weight retainer exel tip) and this will also give me better trim as last time in pool i felt front heavy.i will wait to cut the webbing as i am yet to configue for use diving with a dry suit but for some reason it does not seem so long now,with the buckle side tucked in.So now i just have one long piece of webbing which does not look so bad now.Also by putting the pocket back i have more adjustment on shoulder straps as they are nolonger at there max.Dive Rite should include this stuff in there manual otherwise i can see people disliking it because of thinking its a bad fit where it only needs the right adjustment.Prehaps you lot should propose this to them(I have emailed them but still no reply one week later?.).i am off to the pool now for more trials and safty drills.

Thanks all,

MAL...

Manual was/is one of my biggest gripes. They don't have the best manuals for there TPII or the wing cfg. I still think I have the cords too tight on my Wrek wing. They don't give a good explanation for attatching a crotch strap either.

But I like my TP

Hi All,
Went to the pool last night and that config was differently alot better and the crotch strap really helped.but now another problem has come to light i am having troble dumping air from the bladder.On my first test in the pool i could not dump from the shoulder dump after the session the club members said this is a common problem with a new valve and it just needed a clean down which i did ,and it worked ok on dry land.But last night in the pool when on the surface and with the bladder fully inflated it would not release/dump air ,i had to dump via the oral inflator and when at depth (3m) in a horizontal position i tried again to dump via the shoulder but still nothing so i had to go to a heads up to dump via the oral again.The wing (Rec) has another dump at trhe base of the bladder but this is facing into the diver and could only be used in an upside down or heads up slightly leaning back position. Has anyone got any ideas or advice am i doing somthing wrong?I am really trying to like my Transpac but so far i has been alot of grief,i am due to fly out to cyprus in less than two weeks to dive some deep wrecks(30-45m) and i need to have confidence in my equipment and at the moment i am just worried about using the Transpac.

Regards,

MAL..

Yours has a shoulder dump? Mine does not have a shoulder dump. Do you have an after market inflator?

It's not a problem having no shoulder dump. Shoulder dumps are a fairly recent invention as I understand it. I learned to dive on a BC that did not have one. I have never had a problem dumping from my inflator hose.

MrMojo once bubbled...
Hi All,
i am having troble dumping air from the bladder.On my first test in the pool i could not dump from the shoulder dump

thanks raviepoo for the reply (just got out of a meeting with my boss now back to the proper work..Scubaboard).My shoulder dump is as supplied from dive rite on the rec wing, it has three ways to dump air Shoulder,oral inflator,one bottom bladder dump (which the only use i can see is to let out all the water taken on from using the inflator hose to dump air.).I was also trained to use the inflator hose but have used the shoulder on a lot of hires and they are alot easier to desend from surface and they can/should be used in a horizontal position.Mine is situated on the back of the wing so when horizontal it is facing the surface,i cant see the piont of having a wing which gives you good basic trim and then having to go to the heads up position to change bouyancy of said wing to dump air.

Regards,

MAL...

MrMojo once bubbled...
thanks raviepoo for the reply (just got out of a meeting with my boss now back to the proper work..Scubaboard).My shoulder dump is as supplied from dive rite on the rec wing, it has three ways to dump air Shoulder,oral inflator,one bottom bladder dump (which the only use i can see is to let out all the water taken on from using the inflator hose to dump air.).I was also trained to use the inflator hose but have used the shoulder on a lot of hires and they are alot easier to desend from surface and they can/should be used in a horizontal position.Mine is situated on the back of the wing so when horizontal it is facing the surface,i cant see the piont of having a wing which gives you good basic trim and then having to go to the heads up position to change bouyancy of said wing to dump air.

Regards,

MAL...
I have the same wing as you Mojo & it can be a pain to dump from the shoulder. When horizontal I normally tilt head down just a bit & use my L hip dump valve. Seems to work much easier in that position. I do use the pwr infl. valve on the surface in feet down 'til I begin to sink, then I kick head down & user the dump @ the hip.

Back
Top Bottom