HELP with Vancouver, Canada Dive Center/Dive boat recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mvermill

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are doing a 1.5 week long road trip up to the Puget Sound and Vancouver Canada from Southern California. We need some help in finding a good dive shop up in Vancouver Canada for some boat diving (wrecks or wrecks). Does anyone have any suggestions for a dive shop/dive boat to use up there? Any can't miss dive sites? We need help in filling 2 dive days in late November. We already plan to shore dive Porteau Cove one day up there. We have heard good things about Vancouver Island. Any help would be GREATLY recommended!

FYI: We dive in So. California every weekend, so we are used chilly water. We both are A.I or above, with over 500 dives around the world. We just want to dive!

Thank You!
Marc

I just got certified this last month so don't have any details, but we do have 3 great wrecks to dive just out of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. I'm looking forward to being able to visit them myself. If you PM wedivebc here on Scuba board I'm sure he can give you much more info. He is the instructor at our LDS.

Check out Nanaimo if you can. Diver's Choice is a great place to go through.

If you're shore diving Porteau, you should also check out shore diving Whytecliff. It's one of the main sites around here, and where all of us locals decide to dive by default. It's a lovely site!

mvermill:
My girlfriend and I are doing a 1.5 week long road trip up to the Puget Sound and Vancouver Canada from Southern California. We need some help in finding a good dive shop up in Vancouver Canada for some boat diving (wrecks or wrecks). Does anyone have any suggestions for a dive shop/dive boat to use up there? Any can't miss dive sites? We need help in filling 2 dive days in late November. We already plan to shore dive Porteau Cove one day up there. We have heard good things about Vancouver Island. Any help would be GREATLY recommended!

FYI: We dive in So. California every weekend, so we are used chilly water. We both are A.I or above, with over 500 dives around the world. We just want to dive!

Thank You!
Marc
If you're going to Vancouver (the city), try B.C. Dive Adventures. They used to run a small charter operation out into Howe Sound that was quite good. Haven't dived with them in about 3 years now, but I was very happy with the places they took us and the way they ran the charter.

For shore diving options, Whytecliffe Park, Ansell Point, and Porteau Cove are all good dive sites.

As others have suggested, taking a ferry over to Vancouver Island is (IMO) a better bet for diving. In Victoria, Ogden Point Dive Centre runs charters regularly out to Race Rocks, and to the HCMS McKenzie and Church ... as well as several other great sites. For that matter, the Ogden Point breakwater is a great dive ... in fact, you can do two or three dives and not see it all. Just be careful getting out of the water ... my recommendation is to swim back to the beach rather than attempt to get out onto the breakwater.

Further north in Nanaimo you have the HCMS Sasketchewan and Cape Breton, Snake Island Wall, Jesse Island, and the Rivtow Lion ... as well as a bunch of other great places. Diver's Choice is my preferred charter service there, although Ocean Explorers is also a good charter operation. My preference for places to stay in Nanaimo is the Buccaneer Inn, which is right across the street from the docks. If you go with Diver's Choice, they offer a package that includes an overnight at the Painted Turtle in downtown ... which is also quite nice.

You mentioned Puget Sound ... on your way north, if you have the opportunity go check out the San Juan Islands with Deep Sea Charters. Cap'n Dave has a great stash of dive sites to choose from ... I highly recommend Cone Island, Strawberry Island, and Sares Head.

Best of luck ... if you've a chance to sneak in a dive in the Seattle area on your way north, let us know ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Would agree with all so far.

My 2 cents - get to Vancouver Island either Victoria or Naniamo.

I particularly like the Ogden Point Breakwater in Victoria. An easy dive with lots and lots of life to see and you are right downtown so can visit the city before/after. The exit is a bit tricky if the weather is rough, but if so the beach is not a tough swim. Pretty much guarenteed a wolf eel or two on this site.

Race Rocks is a unique site, a group of small islets with some very strong currents. Lots of life. This is a boat dive - Ogden Point Dive Centre can take you out.

The Vancouver shore dives are OK, but don't really compare to the dives on Vancouver Island re quantity of life.

The Vancouver shore dives are OK, but don't really compare to the dives on Vancouver Island re quantity of life.
Yep, I'm going to have to agree with this. And if you're letting us all vote for where you'll dive at chalk up one more vote for Naniamo.

Go to Vancouver Island, If you can dive Race Rocks and Ogden point. Then call Kelly Stevenson at Docside charters (doc-side on the internet) and ask him to take you to dive the G.B Church and the HMCS Mackenzie on the same trip. It will cost you about $100 per person for the two dives and he includes warm soup and home made cookies on the SI. Also, if you ask him he will take you to some spectacular reef diving at some of his favorite spots. He used to be a banker who decided to do what he really enjoyed rather than just what he had to. His operation is about 2 minutes from the ferry terminal at Schwartz bay. He has a very nice boat and dives all the time. The G.B church is a great wreck and last week had a very large octopus living under the edge of the boat on the port side. Also some very large ling cod.

Good luck.

Thumbs up to Diver Choice. Ted's a good guy and ... forgot his wifes name :) .. but she has great food. Good info on the wrecks and conditions and they'll pick you up from the ferry in Nanaimo so you can walk on (read: save $$ !!).

Good luck.

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom