Helping a nervous new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the great responses. They tell me that I am doing the right thing in a positive way. She loves snorkling and I have had the difficult conversations with her regarding motivation etc. She is a very confident and capable woman who would never do something this serious for someone else. And No hubby is not invited to girls dive night.

I'll check out the new divers section and pay close attention to how her gear fits.

I appreciate all the responses.

My wife took up diving because I did. She's an excellent swimmer and a "water person", but had what could be best described as claustrophobia problems. The first dive or 2 on trips was always very stressful for her.

What got rid of the problem was a bunch (like 25 over 3 weeks) of shallow, very low stress shore dives off the Maui coast....with just the 2 of us. Warm water, no rushing, and no other people. We just played around, worked on some skills, watched turtles, and completely enjoyed ourselves.

Fortunately I managed to get her back to shore each time :D

I'd ask her what makes her nervous. If it's mask skills, spend some gear-free time working on that until it's effortless.
This is always an important start. Ask her to talk about it, and just listen and listen and listen.

After that, what I have found gives people the most confidence is simply being able to control their bodies with confidence in the water. That means not focusing on kneeling on the bottom working on skills. It means being properly weighted and just swimming around and having fun. It means being familiar with the feeling of neutral buoyancy. You will not believe how much of a difference that makes.

I started my scuba professional career assisting other instructors in traditional on-the-knees classes. I got used to what the divers looked like at the end of those classes, which were quite thorough in terms of teaching the skills to the standards. I also taught a bunch of Discover Scuba classes. The goal of those courses was to have the divers have fun. They were two hour sessions, with some of that time spent in the classroom teaching the basics, and some of it in the shallow end teaching just the amount of skill they needed to be safe in the deep end with whatever time remained. Once in the deep end, the Discover Scuba students--most of them children--got the hang of it quickly. They played games while swimming. When I saw they were progressing well, I would have them imitate me doing some skills and whatever else I felt like having them do that I thought they would enjoy.

I was bothered by fact that the typical Discover Scuba students looked like better divers at the end of those sessions than the OW students looked at the end of theirs, even though the OW students had had several times the amount of time in the pool and had learned many more skills. The DS students always had much better buoyancy control than the OW students. I could usually get them to imitate me doing a hover in a headstand position by the end of the session.

Now when I teach OW classes, I try to make swimming, swimming, swimming a part of it as much as I can. When I was negotiating with PADI about the article a group of us wrote about teaching OW classes differently, I told them the story about the discover scuba students mentioned above. I also described an OW class I had seen, taught within standards, in which students spent almost no time swimming and had no neutral buoyancy swimming skills at all. The new standards and policies PADI announced this year include the teaching methods our group advocated, but they also include a major emphasis on just plain neutral buoyancy swimming throughout the pool sessions. Maybe that conversation influenced that. At the end of the pool part of the new course, students are supposed to swim around in buddy teams, while they are occasionally asked without warning to do skills like air sharing, mask clearing, etc. They are expected to do these skills while swimming and without touching the bottom. They are expected to be able to respond to a request to tell their air pressure without looking, on the theory that they have been checking all the time and so know roughly where they are. You might want to do something like that with her.

OK, you've heard what the boys think. Here's what another girl thinks.

Girls learn differently than boys (yes, my background is in education). Girls tend to need a more "forgiving" or "relaxed" environment where they feel comfortable taking the time to assimilate all the information and make meaningful connections. Up front, they look more reticent, but they are just needing more time to acclimate themselves to the situation. This does not mean they are "slow" or "dumb." It means they feel more comfortable when they have a good grasp of the big picture before they jump in. (I know this sounds sexist and derogatory, but it's not, it's proven. Not all girls are like this, but many are. I definitely fit this model, even though I do all sorts of "dare-devil" stuff.)

Create a stress-free environment (invite the husband to stay away for awhile), ask lots of questions, talk through all of her responses and help her *practice* skills a lot before she is tested on them. Have her teach the concepts to someone else. These are ways that will help her master it all. Once she has mastered it, then respect and support her decision as to whether she wants to continue or not. Don't throw in the towel and decide "she probably should not be diving" just because she isn't as enthusiastic as someone thinks she should be.

My two cents.

I think there are a lot of guys like that too, myself included.

Claustrophobia can vary from very mild to like my wife's-- disastrous. She can't dive due to claustrophobia when being constricted in a wetsuit.

Where are they going for the dive trip in January? If it is to a warm water location (likely), with very little current (maybe), and short boat rides (if not shore diving) the trip could be the perfect entrée for her to diving. If so, I wouldn't freak her out by making a big deal out of it in advance of the trip.

So I actually AM a nervous diver, though not the subject of this post. I find the pool to be far more claustrophobic than open water. I am very uncomfortable on my first dive or so of any trip as I only dive infrequently on holidays. I find I just need a very relaxed first dive to get used to the feel of the gear, and then when I am distracted by all the cool things to see under the sea I am ok for the rest of my dives.

I find that I get comfortable quicker if I am familiar with how my gear all fits, ( I don't own any dive gear, just rent so it is always new to me) and if no one is hurrying me to descend once in the water and there is interesting things to see to stop my brain overthinking the fact that I am breathing under water. Good advice to keep the husband away for some of the dives as there will be some unconscious feelings of being under pressure to get this right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wanted to take an opportunity to thank you all for you great suggestions. We had a wonderful time in the pool a little slow to start but after 90min I couldn't get her out. And my friend now loves her new diving skills uploadfromtaptalk1426616983991.jpg

Back
Top Bottom